Exhaust advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NiWhat

Reaction score
I've got a 1998 K1500 with long tube headers and I've cut the cat off, and its got a great deep rumble when I step on it but, its really quiet otherwise. What would you suggest to get a constant deep rumble without the rattly sound? I've heard a flow-master is my best choice but I don't want to commit to that kind of money without any guarantee that it'll work. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I'd go with a Thrush Welded muffler, it's basically a cheaper copy of a flowmaster and they sound great to me!

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
x2^^^ I've got the thrush welded. Sounds great IF u run it out the back. If u dump it at the axle it will be louder n hell. I've had several FM40's and the thrush gives a very similar sound at $40 a pop.

Tigwldr

Reaction score
I have Thorley Tri-Ys maggy HF cats and all 2.5" into a di/do maggy 12568 muffler I merged them out of the muffler to clear over the axle. I think its 3" over the axle and dumped without a tail pipe.
Its deep all the time.
You need to replace all the factory tubing with atleast 2.5" tubing. Maggys give you the constant deep tone at idle through WOT without any popping. I'm not a fan of FMs, if you cant tell, hah.
This may be a little more than you want to spend but, it will sound good and last forever.
Thats my .02 :)

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ agreed. i have the stock manifolds and y pipe, with 3" pipe through the cat and till the muffler and then theres a cherry bomb extrem for the muffler and its loud as hell right now i love it sounds deep like an old muscle car. im gonna end up dumping it out the sides before the rear tires

NiWhat

Reaction score
Would you guys mind uploading a video so i can hear what it sounds like?