Everyone's favorite paint for making headers look good again? 89 350 crate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Never heard of it. Deerfield is 30ish miles southeast of Akron so pretty much between Akron and Youngstown.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I've not used it but many of the motorcycle guys say John Deere muffler paint is the go to paint for headers. It's not cheap as anything John Deere (or airplane) seem to come at a premium. BUT, if it works, then it is worth it. CLEAN is the key. Do what ever you can to remove the rust, old paint and dirt that you can. maybe some muriatic acid??? that's available at any of the big box home improvement stores in the paint department.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe some muriatic acid??? that's available at any of the big box home improvement stores in the paint department.
And garden section in a 2 - 1 gallon jug box for swimming pools :waytogo:

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I like the anti-seize idea! no need to remove anything either to apply and it'll keep them from rusting but it probably has to be done yearly?

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used VHT Flameproof on my short tubes, largely holding up well (a few rust spots, 1/8" diameter or so), highly recommend a few clear top coats for added protection against the elements. The biggest difference is Eastwood's internal exhaust coating- can not say enough good things about this stuff! If you have under hood heat issues (many of us do), this stuff is invaluable. At full operating temps, I can put my bare hand right over the headers- literally. I did 2 coats on new headers and the stuff is just amazing. Pulling the engine and transmission soon to fix a few things and repaint- will definitely be using Eastwoods 2K sprays, also an incredible product. Prep on this stuff is the key, sand blast or glass bead to remove surface rust, then LIBERALLY wash down with a pre paint prep product of some sort (there are many out there, mostly the same stuff) and use the recommended primer for whatever paint you choose- the Forrest stove paint sounds interesting, but the Zycoat- my god! Would like to see how they turn out, whichever you choose.