Engine ticking noise finally fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys! I figured I would post this in case anyone else is having this issue. So I have had my '92 4.3 for about a month now and it has had this tick on the passenger side that has been driving me mad. (I don't remember it being there during the first days of ownership). Earlier today I asked my good friend Andy to see if it was a valve tick or not. He is ASE certified and just got done rebuilding his 350 in his k1500. He said his newly rebuilt engine had the same sound and that it wasn't a valve tick. I decided I guess I'll just have to live with it. BUT I got bored and went out and checked around the engine while it was running for about the 10th time and noticed one of the spark plug boots was rattling a lot. I pressed onto the boot and bam, no more tick. I removed the boot and somehow the freaking spark plug was WAY loose. I don't even know how it was still in the engine. I tightened the plug back into the engine and he is quiet as a dead mousenow :D. So I am about to go tighten the rest of plugs and just wanted to share my story with you all in case you have a weird ticking noise that you can't solve. Odd thing is, the truck ran fine the whole time. Maybe this will fix the blue smoke on startup...

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I just put A/C Delco wires on my 90 Sierra with 5.7l. Never again. I had a hell of a time getting those wires onto the plugs and dist cap. Never had this issue with other brands. I am surprised I didn't break a plug doing it.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Duralast gold because I was in a hurry and they didn’t stock ACDelco. They seem very nice for $25 though

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Duralast gold because I was in a hurry and they didn’t stock ACDelco. They seem very nice for $25 though

Duralast is what I used last time. They were great wires and I got 10 years out of them.

Reaction score
I know I just put A/C Delco wires on my 90 Sierra with 5.7l. Never again. I had a hell of a time getting those wires onto the plugs and dist cap. Never had this issue with other brands. I am surprised I didn't break a plug doing it.

Same here. Haven’t had any quality issues with AC Delco plug wires-after getting them on. They just don’t have a good positive “snap” to them.