engine oil cooler hose line problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i have a 97 z71 with a 350. i had to replace my radiator cause it was cracked. well, it was also leaking around where the engine oil cooler line goes into the radiator on the driver side. well i replaced the radiator and connected the hoses. and i noticed it was leaking around the oil cooler line again. there is nothing wrong with the line. or the threads to the line. but i did notice there was no o ring that goes between the radiator and the line but there were o rings on the trans cooler lines. are the oil cooler line suposed to have o rings too? if so, what size? thanks i need quick replies.

oh and i looked online i cant find aftermarket oil cooler lines anywhere to even look at...

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
the transmission lines have a flared end, so no O-ring. The oil cooler lines have a different end, more of a shank style, and require an O-ring.

Not sure of the size, but any dealership should have a listing.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well then i find it wierd as to why my trans cooler lines had o rings.. well someone chime in if anyone knows what size. i need to get it by tomorrow and i service departments are not open tomorrow.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did. they had the lines and it came with o rings, but i dont have time really to wait on them, i need to be able to go to the store tomorrow and get this size o ring. if i can. if not i will order them...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread came up in a Google search when I was looking for the o-ring size for the two engine oil cooler lines where they connect to the radiator on a 1998 K1500 with a 350.

In case anyone else runs across this, here is the information on the two o-rings:

GM/Delco part number 463015
ID x thickness: 0.426" x 0.07"

Last edited:

Baighn92

Reaction score
You know, looking at those fittings that go into the oil filter housing, I noticed that the thread are NPT... Why not just remove them and install some stainless Swagelok fittings. Cut that goofy o-ring/clip end off and swage the tube right into the Swagelok fitting. Guaranteed never to leak...

These fittings are great. I work with in the gas industry and these fittings are the standard. We use them for lubricator oil lines on our recip compressors (high vibration) at pressures near 1000psi.

Here's what I'm talking about:
You must be registered for see images attach

Just curious as to why this wouldn't work as I have leaky lines currently and don't want to fix it using the same problematic design....

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could. Nothing saying you can not do it that way. Many ways to skin a cat..lol..
Alot of us say goodbye to thay damn adapter and remove it and just put the regular old school unit on there and use a p/n454 oil filter. It clears the front shaft plenty.. many threads on it already made. One of the most recent one, I posted what I used.. and a part number for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Baighn92

Reaction score
Just an update to this:
I actually ended up putting in the fittings I mentioned before. The end product is fantastic but man.....was it a **** ton of work. took me 6hrs. I put in Parker fittings instead....1/2" to 3/8NPT and then tubed the lines in 316 annealed stainless tubing.
-Had to remove skid plate
-Had to cut old oil cooler lines with bolt cutters
-Removed oil filter adapter
-Had to unbolt one end of rod bracket and swing it out of the way.
-Had to make and replace o-ring on filter adapter as it was totally wrecked.
It's not for the faint hearted but at least it eliminates those weird plastic type fittings with something more robust.

Looking from ground up to the filter adapter

From the engine bay

Near the steering gearbox. figuring out these tube bends was a bit trying...

Looking up from the ground to the engine. This is where the original lines clamped as well