engine blowed up!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silver6

Reaction score
Well, been a while since I have posted anything. Been a little busy. Sad to say I blew my motor up a few weeks ago. Spun a bearing I think and while it sucks, on the hunt for a repower. Motor had just shy of 179,000 and ran like a top until the infamous "hill"! Pulling atv's and when I hit the top it let go. Options are either buy a crate L31 long block for just shy of $2000 or have my local machine shop build a long block 383 to drop in for just shy of $3000. Any suggestions? Would be about the same motor as the GM crate 383 for $4700 with some mild differences. Gonna do the mpfi upgrade and shorty headers and a few necessities while i'm at it.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
if it where mine, i would get the g m crate 383,,as i would expect a great warranty,,,,,hard to beat gm crate power imho

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If all it did was spin a bearing then pull it apart and have a machine shop clean up the bearing surfaces and put oversize bearings in it. A quick hone to the cylinder surface and some rings and you're in it for less than $500, depending on machine shop.

silver6

Reaction score
Crate vortec will be here tomorrow! Decided I wanted the reliability with some warranty and that's that. Have the injection update on the way and need to decide if I want some shorty headers or not.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
This engine blown up thing sketches me out sometimes. My vortec is mildly built, has God knows how many miles on it, and sees frequent trips up into the rev limiter. Knock on wood, so far so good tho. Sorry to hear that about yours, I hope its up and going soon.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Keep the old engine, fix it up yourself, the resell it. It is a great leaning experience and is simple on our vehicles.

Mine wore a bearing at exactly 166,666 miles and I rebuilt mine in the engine bay. I costed a total of $500. I was lucky and didn't spin the bearing but the crank was shot.

I was going to hone the bores and stroke the engine but when I took of the heads the engine still had the factory cross hatching intact! Why mess with precession like that?

I just hit 210k and everyone swears I replace the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
BTW, it might be just coincidence, but I went from the usual M1 that has always been in the engine and used Pennzoil Platinum for the last two changes prior because my in-laws swear by it. They also drive Fords that call for 5W-20 instead of the 5W-30 I used. Needless to say I will stick with M1 no matter the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver6

Reaction score
Well it's up and running. Besides an exhaust leak and a stupid egr light that comes and goes (need to take it out and clean it) it runs like a brand new one! now on to the body!