Electric Fans V2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the 383, I am trying electric fans again. Making some changes from the prior setup though. This time around using a 34x19 radiator that completely covers the core support opening and 16" 3,000 cfm Flexalite fans. BP Engineering GMT800 fan harness and ac pressure transducer kit. Harness is installed and works well. Only need to lengthen the two control wires and route them to the PCM inside the engine harness. The PCM will be controlling the fans based off coolant temp and a/c pressure. I am adding a GM a/c pressure transducer to the a/c discharge hose between the compressor and condenser. I tested the fans on video. First on low speed with the motors in series for 6 volts each. Then on high speed with the fans in parallel and 12 volts each. Fans draw 9.25 amps on low and 37 amps on high. The startup amperage spike is also very low with this wiring arrangement. The PCM will also run the fans only as much as needed so less wasted energy. With the PCM controlling the fans I can adjust the idle airflow when the fans turn on and off to maintain a steady idle speed. The PCM is also going to control the alternator when I am done with the wiring changes which means stable voltage as the fans turn on and off. I am going to try to bend the trans cooler mounting bracket in toward the condenser to get more airflow through it. It sticks out close over 2" from the condenser now because the condenser is thinner. Even so the airflow through the trans cooler will still pull a paper towel against it on low speed and hold it in place. But with the 2,800 rpm stall converter its hard to go overkill on trans cooling. Picked up a parallel flow condenser with a lifetime warranty. With my discount at work it was under $80. The old style serpentine condenser (2 tubes snake all the way through it) was 2x the thickness and highly restrictive to airflow after nearly 25 years even though I had previously cleaned it and straightened the fins. The new parallel flow is thinner and being new and clean flows alot more air through it. Condenser design and function has been drastically improved in the 30 years since GM designed that early R134a condenser. The newer condensers typically reduce the a/c head pressure, let the a/c function better and help keep the engine cooler with the improved airflow.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No vents on the fan mounting plate to allow for airflow at higher vehicle speed?

I'd have expected a few holes, covered by rubber flaps--sealed at low speed, forced-open at higher speed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No vents on the fan mounting plate to allow for airflow at higher vehicle speed?

I'd have expected a few holes, covered by rubber flaps--sealed at low speed, forced-open at higher speed.
I have considered adding some but overtime those create a whole other problem when they fall off or deform and stop sealing. If it runs warmer than I want at speed I will add them.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m only running one flexalite fan with a 195/175 sensor. My cooling is great. However, I am up in Canada with a lot cooler temps than down south.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working out some more details on this. Had to change out the vans coolant recovery tank (squeezed a GMT400 reservoir between the fan shroud and a/c case, mounted backwards) and also building a heatshield for the 12" × 6" cylindrical air filter with a 4" opening I will be using. I prototyped the airbox with cardboard.