Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far my experience has been positive with the electric fans i installed. Duel Flex-A-Lite fan kit 280 Pulls 5,500cfm. Listed to pull 28A. I did do more than the big 3 upgrade to the wiring also, Used 02 welding cable and more grounds, I have not hooked the fans to come on with the AC yet. Have not needed to yet. Stock 140A alternator is keeping up fine.
It is keeping my truck cool so far but around here we have low humidity and will only see 100 degree days a couple times a year.
With front and rear AC, 85 degree day and stop and go traffic once the interior is cooled down i run the AC on low or med. Seems to just work fine. I'll see on a really hot day though how it does. If it fails i did keep all the OEM stuff to swap back.
Posted these before.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Did that aluminum top bracket come with the kit? It looks nice--but paint it black, will ya?;):)

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about that but never really went any further. Maybe by the end of summer ill paint it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the top fan in the pic the Duramax fan? Does it just bolt on right where the 5 fin fans goes?

Is it metal or plastic?

The top fan is the Duramax, I had to trim a small amount off the blades to fit my stock shroud. The fan is massive. The clutch I used is for a 6.0L Trailblazer SS. Running the P59, I have upgraded to the electric clutch now.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The top fan is the Duramax, I had to trim a small amount off the blades to fit my stock shroud. The fan is massive. The clutch I used is for a 6.0L Trailblazer SS. Running the P59, I have upgraded to the electric clutch now.

Sounds neat! I'll keep that in mind! Is the fan made of plastic or metal? I'd prefer metal for durability, but bc it's a fan blade, it's not a big deal if it's plastic.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I already have the lower fan (or similar), but just for the fun of it, do you have the GM part number handy on that Duramax fan?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the attraction to electrics is a possible power advantage, the wow factor in it being a "mod", and "cleaning up" the engine bay.
Electric is an easy button on engine swaps when you're not sure if the fan clutch will be centered in the shroud. It is also better suited to small displacement cars where a clutch fan would take 5+ horsepower to turn. Switching to an electric fan made a huge difference on my RX-7, less so on my truck.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s probably been said but I would wire it up to a temp switch also. This way it can come on automatically or with AC. If it’s a dual fan yiu can wire up one fan for each switch input. Also if it’s a dual speed single fan.

Medic0893

Reaction score
I don’t see you mentioned anywhere you were wiring it to come on when it gets hot (not just for AC). I’m sure you have considered this but I didn’t see it. Usually the sensor grounds the circuit to turn it on. That means you have to wire the relay as negative switched. I put a “backup” switch on the dash where I can turn it on manually.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently doing the same to my 89 with a 5.7L. Mine had the 28" rad before. I got a new upper rad hose for the 34" and modified the lower rubbers to fit the wider core 34". The problem I ran into was with the lower rad hose. Since my rad sits so low in the support, I can't fit a factory lower hose on it. I tried one from a 1990 454 as well and no dice. I just ordered some elbows and such of Amazon to make my own lower hose.

I am running a sniper efi set up, I wired up both fans separately with 40 Amp circuit breakers and I will have the fans come at separate times, the rh fan being first as that is where my tranny cooler is. Lh fan will come on at hotter temps. I just have to find a good switched ground source for my a/c trigger.
That looks sweet. I’m planning on doing the sniper efi myself next year. That’s part of the reason for doing this fan conversion now.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t see you mentioned anywhere you were wiring it to come on when it gets hot (not just for AC). I’m sure you have considered this but I didn’t see it. Usually the sensor grounds the circuit to turn it on. That means you have to wire the relay as negative switched. I put a “backup” switch on the dash where I can turn it on manually.
That’s part of the relay kit. Comes with a temp switch that turns on at 175.