Educate me on getting my TBI 350 rebuilt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I agree...and I already snagged an intake of eBay, cleaned and painted for $39. Thought about going up to the pick and pull for one but after time going up there, pulling it, and cleaning it, I'll easily come out ahead with the eBay one.

And the rear main is easy eh? I thought they were a b*tch? I was looking at a truck a while back that the owner confessed to it needing a new rear main and I called a couple places and was told around $800 to do it.

Yea, screw that. Grab a buddy and do it yourself. The seal is a few dollars, and at most you'll need to borrow a pneumatic impact driver to loosen the flexplate bolts. It's basically idiot proof. Put the truck on jackstands, pull the driveshaft(s), disconnect shift linkage, throttle valve cable and wiring harness, pull the inspection cover and take out the 3 converter bolts, support the transmission with a jack and unbolt the bellhousing from the block and slide the transmission back and down out of the way. After the flexplate is unbolted the seal comes out easily. Reverse to put everything back together.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yea, screw that. Grab a buddy and do it yourself. The seal is a few dollars, and at most you'll need to borrow a pneumatic impact driver to loosen the flexplate bolts. It's basically idiot proof. Put the truck on jackstands, pull the driveshaft(s), disconnect shift linkage, throttle valve cable and wiring harness, pull the inspection cover and take out the 3 converter bolts, support the transmission with a jack and unbolt the bellhousing from the block and slide the transmission back and down out of the way. After the flexplate is unbolted the seal comes out easily. Reverse to put everything back together.

If I had the shop I would...my buddy who has the place we did my lift kit in just finished up his last day of work here in Birmingham Saturday and he is searching for a job around Mobile, AL right now.

JackWagon92

Reaction score
I agree with chris, save your $800.00 and do it yourself. It doesn't get much easier than he stated. If you still have no place to pull a trans try a seal conditioner until you can fix it the right way. All it does is makes your seals swell up, it will not hurt your engine, and may get you by for awhile.