Educate me on getting my TBI 350 rebuilt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Welp, the title says it all. After months of building and fixing, I am still not confident in my powerplant.

Current problems:

Discovered knock sensor was unplugged, appears to have been for some time. Harness is rotted and needs replacing and I would guess the sensor does too.

Perhaps related, it has a healthy knock for 5-10 seconds at startup that goes away.

Idles rough on start-up for about 40-45 seconds.

Idles rough at redlights once warmed up and at a stop for 30 seconds or so.

Is leaking oil at either (or both) the rear main seal and/or where intake meets block. I did the intake manifold gaskets back in November, appears I didn't do the best job with the RTV on the rear of the block IF that is where the leak is.

Leaking coolant from the heater hose "fitting" on the manifold...I put the " because the PO put a damn piece of threaded pipe there and I strongly believe they cross-threaded it and ruined the aluminum, I absolutely could not get it out of the manifold when I had the manifold off for the intake gasket job.

Probably the biggest problem is that I now have nowhere to work on my truck a lot because I just moved into an apartment, nice ones at that who will NOT take kindly to me spilling oil and antifreeze everywhere.

I think I just want it completely torn down and rebuilt by a professional, I know of a shop here in Birmingham that has great reviews and does a lot of these.

What I don't know is what to ask for. I know I want reliability and strength first and foremost, with performance coming second. This is not a DD and it does not have to be fast, I just want it to be super reliable.

How much should a comprehensive engine rebuild be?

To solve the intake problem I think I'll get an Edelbrock 3704 Performer Manifold.

Any sensor that hasn't been replaced already will be replaced with a new Delphi unit.

I don't want it leaking anything anymore and I want it to be good to go for at least 100k more miles, which I honestly probably won't put on it in its life, and I plan on keeping it forever!

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track. I can't tell you what it will cost but the best advice I can give is to get one some local racer forums and fight out where people go. You'll get the good and the bad stories on local forums. I'd go with a different intake, but that's just me.

Oh on a side not, when/if you find those local forums I will be using you as a contact for Sport Truck Shootout. Looks like it's gonna be right in your backyard this year on 4th of july weekend.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out thirdgen.org. Lots of TBI info on there. All of those guys use the single plane low rise intakes, we on the 454ss.com site have agreed that's the best setup for any TBI engine. Only reason I'm not running one is b/c I don't know how much trouble the whipple would have bolting up to it. I may try fitting one under this winter.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your just taking it somewhere dropping it off and picking it up, at least 2k....

I would look into a brand new GM engine, they can be had for about the same price as having one rebuilt. You could also throw a vortec in it with a tbi intake. More power and reliable.....

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For $2k I'd look into doing a 5.3 swap. You could do a 5.3 with cam, intake for $2k. Get better MPG's and more power. Just my .02 though.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya but to do a 5.3 swap that cheap you got to do that yourself. Most shops probably wouldn't touch a swap. You will have a hard enough time finding one to put a vortec in, even though all that takes is the intake and a new timing cover.....

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea that's true. I guess for a shop to do it, it'd be a different story.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya if he could find a shop that does stuff like that it might not be to bad. It makes for a hard decision, Ive gone back an forth myself on the ls swap or replacing my vortec. It makes my brain hurt trying to decide....

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I want a stock TBI tree fiddy. The only performance improvements will be the intake manifold and shorty headers.