Dumb question about rodding on the truck in 2nd gear...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always wondered this. If you set the truck to 2nd gear (P R N (D) D [2] 1 on the gear selection display), and then rod on it a lot--like doing ties in a snowy field or doing a burnout etc.--Is that bad for the transmission? I would think it would be better than having it set to Drive or Overdrive since it doesn't have to shift at high RPMs, but I figured I'd get some more input. Sorry if this is has an obvious answer!

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Haha well "rodding" on a truck is never a good thing... Although it is fun :hidesbehindsofa: experienced the worst wheel hop in reverse last night :nono:

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Obvious answer?....I dont even understand the question. I am guessing that you want to leave it in 2nd gear, stomp on the gas and see how fast you can go? It would be fine until you get to about 60 when your revs are up to about 5 grand in 2nd gear......then, you start over revving the engine. I guess if you are doing donuts in a parking lot, it would be good to stay in 2nd....Any way you look at it, its hard on your truck. Do you care that little about it?. This from an old hot rodder

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No no, I'm just talking about having some low speed fun in the snow or something of the sort. I wouldn't be anywhere near the rev limiter, I just wanted to know if staying in gear is as hard on the truck as Mid to high RPM shifting while in Overdrive.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All it'll do is keep in from shifting into 3rd :think: If your playin in the snow I'd let it shift and do it's thing... If you were in the mud I'd probably lock it out of (D) but only because it'd run out of power