dual exhuast and engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
DO YOU HAVE HEADERS OR MANIFOLDS? YOUR CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE PROBABLY SHOT, WHAT IS THE CODE IT'S THROWING?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so you got 2 of everything, what about the 02's how many are they and where?

I would bet the problem is the o2 and the duals. I know the old ones only had one in the manifold, but pretty sure 96 and up being vortec had them in the pipes, and maybe only haveing one is the problem? maybe they need one in each pipe or something? either that or the computer cleared as mentioned.

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so you got 2 of everything, what about the 02's how many are they and where?

I would bet the problem is the o2 and the duals. I know the old ones only had one in the manifold, but pretty sure 96 and up being vortec had them in the pipes, and maybe only haveing one is the problem? maybe they need one in each pipe or something? either that or the computer cleared as mentioned.

i wouldnt doubt the cats are crap theyre the original cats and i have manifolds not headers i was thinking about somethin else but my truck has four 02 sensors that i can see 1 before and 1 after the cats on each pipe.
some muffler shop told me today that to get my cats replaced would run me like $685. i hope hes joking.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how many cats you got brother? around here they are $100 a piece for new cats, gutted ones are like $35 each.

WOW almost 7 bills man that's high.

If you have cleared the computer and the o2's are good and you know they are ALL good, then I could only think of a bad cat, but that's a high price man, I can't get over that price LOL.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
That's how much cats are, that exhaust shop isn't joking, but they are talking OEM cats, but your cheap cats and your High flow cats are anywhere from $75-$150 a piece.

Any 5.7 Vortec has 4 o2 sensors, the right and left bank each has 2, 1 before the cat on each bank which controls your Air/Fuel mixture, these are VERY important. The ones after the cats are used to tell the computer whether or not the cats are bad. Although the rear ones aren't quite necessary, I'd still replace them, unless you have extra money laying around, you can get your PCM tuned, have them tune the rear o2's right out of the computer. Then you can take your cats off without a problem :)

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a total of (4) o2 sensors still, right? 2 before the cat and 2 after. Reading the code should tell you if its bank 1 or bank 2 so you know which side is giving you problems. I'm not sure the difference if any with the sensors, but is there a chance they swapped the front and rear sensors?

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how many cats you got brother? around here they are $100 a piece for new cats, gutted ones are like $35 each.

WOW almost 7 bills man that's high.

If you have cleared the computer and the o2's are good and you know they are ALL good, then I could only think of a bad cat, but that's a high price man, I can't get over that price LOL.

thats what im sayin man i can go to freakin autozone and pick up two new cats for 75 or 80 a peice and do that crap myself. the sensors are like 50 to 60 a peice.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
why not get the cat-deletes for ~$75/piece installed....or do them yourself if you can solder. A decent bit of google searching will eventually land you at a site that'll tell you the specs of the resistor needed to hook to the signal wire, then just visit your local radio shack and find a pack of resistors that match the specs on site. When you're hooking them up, you have to NOT run them plugged into O2 sensors, or the resistor will make the ohm reading too high(sensor provides it's own resistance). Just unplug from O2 sensor, solder in resistor to signal wire, and ziptie/strap the plug and wiring to the inside/top of frame rail. Did my '03 dodge, and the $75 kit cost me $.14 to make.