Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lined up the crew cab flipper dually, 454/4L80 with a 350/4L60 1500 ECSB and it got SMOKED. Truck felt like a turd so this exercise was a sanity check. Dude that bought the truck was super happy with it and another friend I let drive it said it felt great.
The 350 ran off an left the dually? Not surprised! Although when Popular Mechanics did their SUV shootout in about 1997 the 5.7L Tahoe and the 2500 454 Suburban they tested were fairly equal, within 0.1s in acceleration times and the 454 almost matched the 350 in observed fuel economy.

Drewu223

Reaction score
The 350 ran off an left the dually? Not surprised! Although when Popular Mechanics did their SUV shootout in about 1997 the 5.7L Tahoe and the 2500 454 Suburban they tested were fairly equal, within 0.1s in acceleration times and the 454 almost matched the 350 in observed fuel economy.
My 98 k2500 is nothing special by any means, but I was 100% surprised in the potential of that truck with just a tune. Granted, it already has a true dual exhaust and CAI, but getting it live tuned on 93 octane you could almost feel it pull harder with every degree of timing he added at WOT. Really woke that 454 up for what it is.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 k2500 is nothing special by any means, but I was 100% surprised in the potential of that truck with just a tune. Granted, it already has a true dual exhaust and CAI, but getting it live tuned on 93 octane you could almost feel it pull harder with every degree of timing he added at WOT. Really woke that 454 up for what it is.
Tuned my buddies truck. On 87 was not able to add a ton of timing but was able to squeeze in some small increases here and there that really helped it run better.

Drewu223

Reaction score
Tuned my buddies truck. On 87 was not able to add a ton of timing but was able to squeeze in some small increases here and there that really helped it run better.
We started on 87 and added timing until there was spark knock, then backed it off a bit. It still made quite the difference but I decided the next day that I wanted to go for 93 and see what I could squeeze out haha.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did true duals on my '89, and I wanted mufflers that wouldn't kill a lot of power. After watching Engine Masters' cheap muffler shootout I got Cherry Bomb Salutes in 2.5". They're too loud for my tastes, and I need to finish the tailpipes out, but the sound is not raspy at all, and everybody who's heard it has commented they like the sound.

Opinion: Too many people try to make their trucks louder thinking it will sound badass without changing the cam. A loud truck with a stock cam is like buying a Corvette to compensate for a small manhood. The whole reason we associate "loud" with "badass" is because a big cam requires a free-flowing exhaust which is naturally louder. The caveat to this is that our trucks came with an exhaust that wasn't even adequate for the stock cam, so I'll reserve judgement on trucks that are a little louder than stock.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dual magnaflows. Very reasonable sound level, but a bit loud to hold a conversation with people in the back seat. Had turbo mufflers before on a trans am and actually thought they were decent. Not loud until wot. Had a set of glasspacks on a big block, and it was almost same as open headers(468 with a blower). Trying other combinations of mufflers and resonators now.

Attachments

• 20211025_123846.jpg
    20211025_123846.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 34