Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly haven't been around LS motors a lot until recently.The job I was at had all GM work trucks. Even the 1/2 tons with 5.3's got up and went. When it gets a cam swap, it won't be for 7000rpm HP, it will be for torque down low. I want to get going fast, not GO fast. Hopefully that makes sense. More light to light and on ramps vs 1/4 mile.
I'm not so worried about how it sounds at idle hanging out in a parking lot, that's for kids. But make no mistake, it will be getting a rumbly exhaust. At the very least turbo mufflers, but probably glasspacks. But I will go with the largest diameter and longest ones I can stuff up in there. Don't want loud, more muscle car if that makes sense.
I'll never grow up,I'm a Toys-R-Us kid. I like a lumpy idle!
But as you say I like off the line torque too. I've never researched to see it Lunati has the asymmetric cam for LS's but the ones for old iron blocks give you a little lump-t-lump at idle and pull like a team of mules off the line. The LS's have about the same idle as iron blocks but it's when you step on the gas they sound different. Could be a combination of firing order and the lower gearing of these newer tranny's.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll never grow up,I'm a Toys-R-Us kid. I like a lumpy idle!
But as you say I like off the line torque too. I've never researched to see it Lunati has the asymmetric cam for LS's but the ones for old iron blocks give you a little lump-t-lump at idle and pull like a team of mules off the line. The LS's have about the same idle as iron blocks but it's when you step on the gas they sound different. Could be a combination of firing order and the lower gearing of these newer tranny's.

My life philosophy is.....you can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!
We are just big boys with more expensive toys now.
I like a thumpy sounding motor as well, just not at the expense of torque and HP. I've done a bit of research and it seems the cam designs for the LS's has gotten more "mature" now vs a decade ago. Can get both. Richard Holdner has lots of vids about them.
I'm not looking for bragging rights about 700hp @8000, just good street manors and some fun factor tossed in. But let's be honest, I'm sure a stock 300hp LS will make me happier than 210hp from 30+ years ago.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the "anti rotation bolts" drilled and bolts in. After trying a few different ways to get at them I was able to use the drill I had, without cutting a bit down. They are on a bit of a angle but tightened up straight. Installed the last shock and I can now consider the drop installed!!! Yay for me!!! Lol
The truck is up on ramps in the front so tomorrow hopefully loosen up the control arm bolts, cycle the suspension a bunch and see if the front drops down some more.

Here is a picture of the tranny spacer installation. Not 100% sure if it's proper or not.
I have 4 leftover washers in the box. But they are for bigger bolts. So if anyone has any light they can shine on this, it would be appreciated.

The mystery washers.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got the "anti rotation bolts" drilled and bolts in. After trying a few different ways to get at them I was able to use the drill I had, without cutting a bit down. They are on a bit of a angle but tightened up straight. Installed the last shock and I can now consider the drop installed!!! Yay for me!!! Lol
The truck is up on ramps in the front so tomorrow hopefully loosen up the control arm bolts, cycle the suspension a bunch and see if the front drops down some more.

Here is a picture of the tranny spacer installation. Not 100% sure if it's proper or not.
I have 4 leftover washers in the box. But they are for bigger bolts. So if anyone has any light they can shine on this, it would be appreciated.

The mystery washers.
Transmission spacer looks correct. That’s how mine looks. I had some mystery hardware too. Bonus washers!

I didn’t place my rotation bolts there on the shock mount. Mine went through the black plate and into the OE mount. I saw that was an option listed for other trucks and figured it would work for mine. It did.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission spacer looks correct. That’s how mine looks. I had some mystery hardware too. Bonus washers!

I didn’t place my rotation bolts there on the shock mount. Mine went through the black plate and into the OE mount. I saw that was an option listed for other trucks and figured it would work for mine. It did.
Thanks for the reassurance on the spacer.
I couldn't go through the back on the extension because there was no steel there. I guess that's why they had the 3 holes, options.
And ya, what's a project without bonus hardware to make you feel uneasy!!! Lol

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The mystery washers.
If you don't have parts left over, you did it wrong!

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might also look into a 90° angle drive for your existing drill. I have one that Dad bought years ago, when we had to use it to help with the installation of a Heli Coil in the front engine cover on my Dodge Intrepid. I'd pulled the timing belt tensioner assembly off, not realizing I could just replace the roller, and then over tightened it on reinstallation. Not a great idea on a large expensive piece of forged aluminum....
I don't think it was real expensive for the angle drive, and it's all metal and well made.
I got one of those, also, when I was replacing the head gasket in the wife's Envoy and three of my head bolts snapped. One of them naturally being underneath the firewall. Also made a drill press jig.