Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

After the 3rd round of tacks.
You must be registered for see images attach

@Alteca , I did dial the voltage up one setting, seems to be running better today. Sounds better as well, getting that bacon sizzle sound. Same ground location as yesterday. Not going to question it too much, it's working better and I'm ok with that! Lol
Sometimes when you are welding at home the power supply has a big effect on the welder. I notice that when everyone is getting home from work and putting on dinner, having showers etc, things that draw a lot of current, my welder takes a bit of a nose dive compared to earlier in the day when everyone is at work.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes when you are welding at home the power supply has a big effect on the welder. I notice that when everyone is getting home from work and putting on dinner, having showers etc, things that draw a lot of current, my welder takes a bit of a nose dive compared to earlier in the day when everyone is at work.
Interesting...that could certainly be a factor.
Not too many people welding in their garage here on new year's eve I recon though!! Lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Its been warm here as well, we still have the white stuff on the ground... Mind you whqt would one expect living in a place called Winterpeg Manisnowba ??? HotWheelsBurban, if you are curious I am 1 hour drive NORTH of where Minnisota, North Dakota, Canada meet.The 2 main Southbound Highways 1 goes to Minnisota, the other North Dakota..
Too far north for me, this time of year.....
November of '91, we went to Chickasha, Oklahoma for the swap meet. It was cold when we left Houston, and central Oklahoma is ten hours north, so we were dressed and prepared for it. Or so we thought, when a Norther blew in on Saturday afternoon of the four day weekend. It got down to ~5° F after dark, and started snowing in late afternoon. About a foot altogether. Our old '79 C10 350 Burb was not really interested in starting that evening, but it finally did and we headed to town in search of a warm meal(we'd been camping out all weekend). The kids were out in their Jeeps, on the highway, and by the grace of God we got to the restaurant and back out to the venue without getting in a wreck or going off the road. We headed home Sunday midday after loading out, and we were south of Dallas/Fort Worth before I was warm, the heater was so overwhelmed.....

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too far north for me, this time of year.....
November of '91, we went to Chickasha, Oklahoma for the swap meet. It was cold when we left Houston, and central Oklahoma is ten hours north, so we were dressed and prepared for it. Or so we thought, when a Norther blew in on Saturday afternoon of the four day weekend. It got down to ~5° F after dark, and started snowing in late afternoon. About a foot altogether. Our old '79 C10 350 Burb was not really interested in starting that evening, but it finally did and we headed to town in search of a warm meal(we'd been camping out all weekend). The kids were out in their Jeeps, on the highway, and by the grace of God we got to the restaurant and back out to the venue without getting in a wreck or going off the road. We headed home Sunday midday after loading out, and we were south of Dallas/Fort Worth before I was warm, the heater was so overwhelmed.....
We usually don't get foot deep dumps where I am.... usually. But there are definitely years where we do. Getting 4"-6" a day for a weeks at time adds up.
2010 the snow was about 5' deep on the edge of all the lawns in the neighborhood, so you had to shovel up and over that to get the snow off the sidewalks. It was crazy. It snowed almost 3' one weekend, very odd for here. Roofs were collapsing on homes and businesses. I went to shovel my roof and at the peak it was almost 6' deep!!
This year we've had next to nothing. I can see my lawn.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those tacks are looking much better. Still don’t be afraid to stack about 5-10 tacks on top of each other and then move to a different section/let cool off. It allows for a bit more consistency and less chance of holes/porosity. Here is a pic of a section I did a while back. The metal was clean at the time of welding.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.png
    IMG_2197.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those tacks are looking much better. Still don’t be afraid to stack about 5-10 tacks on top of each other and then move to a different section/let cool off. It allows for a bit more consistency and less chance of holes/porosity. Here is a pic of a section I did a while back. The metal was clean at the time of welding.
Nice! I'm still in the beginning stages of my welding development. Scared to warp stuff. I've done a few projects with thicker material, and I was getting goodish at "stacking".
I'm a way better grinder than welder!!! Lol

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just finished reading through your thread Drunknuk, nice work! I'm getting ready to C-notch my truck and the information that you provided was very helpful. Definitely lifting the bed off, at least high enough to be able to drill the top bolts for the notch easily and clearance the bed cross member. I'll use an engine hoist and home-made lifting brace (made from fence posts). The problem with pulling the bed away from the truck completely is that I have nowhere safe to put it...

May try to tackle a new exhaust system, too.