Drum to Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Lino

Reaction score
Do the heavy half front rotors and calipers bolt directly on a K1500?
I am thinking the larger rear drums from the heavy half rear and the larger front disc brakes may do what I need.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the heavy half front rotors and calipers bolt directly on a K1500?
I am thinking the larger rear drums from the heavy half rear and the larger front disc brakes may do what I need.

The larger rear drums won't swap to the stock 8.5" axle. You will have to install the larger 9.5" axle. And the rotors and calipers will bolt on (use the part numbers from that year 2500). Make sure you get the 6-lug ones. The 2500s had 6 lugs (light duty) and 8 lugs (heavy duty).

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Tony Lino

Reaction score
The larger rear drums won't swap to the stock 8.5" axle. You will have to install the larger 9.5" axle. And the rotors and calipers will bolt on (use the part numbers from that year 2500). Make sure you get the 6-lug ones. The 2500s had 6 lugs (light duty) and 8 lugs (heavy duty).

OK. I think I have a plan.
I will use the 9.5 6 lug rear with drums in the back.
Then replace the front brakes with rotors and calipers from the front of a heavy half.
Thanks

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. I think I have a plan.
I will use the 9.5 6 lug rear with drums in the back.
Then replace the front brakes with rotors and calipers from the front of a heavy half.
Thanks
Yeah no problem! Also, since you are taking the brake system apart anyways, I would upgrade your master cylinder to the NBS one (NBS being '99-'07 body style). It will give you better brake performance. And stainless steel brake lines are always a good upgrade.

Also, a word of note, when you swap out your rear axle, make sure it has the same gear ratio as your front axle (3.73, 4.10, etc...)

Tony Lino

Reaction score
All good.
GT4!
I think I will do the front first and check the results befor doing the back.
I alread have changed most of the brake lines to SS. Tow blow outs. Bad news.
I put a new master on it recently, but I will eat the cost and put a NBS on when I do the rest.
I will update after the changes and give a full report.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Tony Lino

Reaction score
How do I find part numbers for the knuckles for the front?
Is it the same as any K2500 truck?

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do I find part numbers for the knuckles for the front?
Is it the same as any K2500 truck?
Just use the part number off of a K2500 the same model year as your truck. You shouldn't have to change the knuckles... I'm pretty sure the larger caliper bolts on to the standard half ton one

Tony Lino

Reaction score
Just use the part number off of a K2500 the same model year as your truck. You shouldn't have to change the knuckles... I'm pretty sure the larger caliper bolts on to the standard half ton one

OK.
Thanks.

Tony Lino

Reaction score
Can the rear drums be upgraded from JB5 to JB7 (13") without changing the axel and if so, will 16" wheels fit that drum?

Last edited:

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can the rear drums be upgraded from JB5 to JB7 (13") without changing the axel and if so, will 16" wheels fit that drum?
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the 13" brakes only came 8-lug, on the larger 10.5" rear axle, and 9.25" ifs axle.