Drop spring Bump steer problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1989 single cab short bed V8 drop the front 2 inches with a drop spindle I want to drop it another inch with a 1 inch drop Spring Will the small drop give me Bump steer problems will I need a bump steer kit to fix it. Thank you in advance to anyone that can give me some insight on this

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any issues as long as it gets re-aligned.

Now is a good time to replace the bushings, ball joints, and sway bar end links. Almost no extra labor and you're paying for an alignment anyway.

If tie rod ends and such don't fit in the budget now, they can be switched later, and you only need to reset the toe.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
agreed with frank. if you have no bump steer, and then lower and self align and you find you have it, alignment is the thing to correct. if you have worn parts and you lower, depending on your steering geometry stock i would think it would be less prone but i could be wrong

Bump steer in 2wd with good parts isnt usually bad but if you have 4wd you have a steering stabilizer.

I have a f150 2wd i want to get a stabilizer. It wont do MUCH because of worn parts but those things should have had them anyway because of ps pump behavior and other things anyway, so In gm 2wd no idea how it works for a stabilizer but Id say go for it if upgrading things

Reaction score
You shouldn't have any issues as long as it gets re-aligned.

Now is a good time to replace the bushings, ball joints, and sway bar end links. Almost no extra labor and you're paying for an alignment anyway.

If tie rod ends and such don't fit in the budget now, they can be switched later, and you only need to reset the toe.
Thank you for the info I have rebuilt the whole front end all new joints and tie rods and bushings are new

Reaction score
agreed with frank. if you have no bump steer, and then lower and self align and you find you have it, alignment is the thing to correct. if you have worn parts and you lower, depending on your steering geometry stock i would think it would be less prone but i could be wrong

Bump steer in 2wd with good parts isnt usually bad but if you have 4wd you have a steering stabilizer.

I have a f150 2wd i want to get a stabilizer. It wont do MUCH because of worn parts but those things should have had them anyway because of ps pump behavior and other things anyway, so In gm 2wd no idea how it works for a stabilizer but Id say go for it if upgrading things
Thanks for the info brother