Driveshaft U-Joint Angle Experts Needed for a 2 Piece Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I need some help, could someone let me know if my new drive line angles are correct?

My trucks is a 1998 C1500 with the 2 piece shaft. Its lifted 4" up front with 2" blocks in the rear and new 2,025lbs leaf packs and new Bilstein 5100 Shocks. The drive shaft is rebuilt with all brand new u joints, carrier bearing and I had high speed balancing done.

So I had my lift blocks in the rear that were a 2 inch lift and a 2 deg tapper block and I had way to much pinion angle causing a significant vibration at 20-30mph. The angles below were that setup....
You must be registered for see images attach

Then after doing the math I noticed I had to take out those 2 deg tapper blocks to fix the 2.2 deg difference between working angle 2 and working angle 3. So with the straight cut 2" lift blocks these are my new angles....
You must be registered for see images attach

Now with these new blocks I get a not even noticeable vibration from 25-30mph. So its making me question if my angles are correct. I worried about chunking u joints all the time as that was the problem previously and that's why I rebuilt the entire rear end of my truck. So if someone can just confirm my angles are looking correct that would be awesome!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lifting it only 2" shouldn't have to do anything. That's not alot of lift. Usually pointing the diff at the t-case output shaft will take care of vibes....

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lifting it only 2" shouldn't have to do anything. That's not alot of lift. Usually pointing the diff at the t-case output shaft will take care of vibes....

No you wouldn't think it should cause issues being only 2". But the Leafs make it more like a 3" block was added.

The reason why I am paranoid about chunking u joints and making sure my angles are proper is because before the new leafs i was chunking the rear u joint about every other month from terrible pinion angle with the worn leaf springs. It was having a ton of axle wrap under acceleration. So I just want reassurance that my new angles will not be chunking that rear u joint all the time. And if I'm doing all this work I want to know its done proper and not half ass'ed with ehh its close and find out i lose that u joint ever year.