double din radio in 96 gmc 1500 z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought a 96 z71 last week, im starting to put the stuff i want in it, the radio it has now is a jensen tape deck/cd player, its bigger than a single din, but im not sure if its a double din, im kinda new to the whole audio scene, so what i was wondering is, do they make a double din dash kit to fit touch screens? or do i have to stick with the single din fold out screens

p.s. im not looking to get into any dash modifications, im just wondering if they have a dash kit for a double din radio...

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
if you dont want to do any dash modification, stick to the single din because even with that kit you still have to do some work to your dash and clearancing behind it. But it's definitely worth it!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
That is one of the first double dins that actually look almost stock....and it does look nice.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well lookie what just arrived at my desk :)

Looks like quality stuff. I debated spending this much $$ but in the end, it appears really well made. As a fabricator/carpenter/engineer myself, I can appreciate how much time/effort must have gone into this on a small scale basis. It's one thing for Metra or the Chinese to batch thousands of these things and quite another for 1 dude to occasionally make a handful (I guess).

Will try to install it along with my Pioneer AVIC head-unit/GPS/DVD this weekend if the wife doesn't harass me

You must be registered for see images

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK folks. I know there are a number of these threads out there. Rather than pollute the forum, I'll just add a couple of more anecdotes here. Finally got around to starting my install. My kit has been sitting around for since last year. In my 'Burb, I'm putting in my old Pioneer Avic x910BT. I don't need anything newer - it serves my purposes. Anyway, if you're using TheDetailSS kit, you're going to have to hack up your dash (behind the panel - where the radio is) SIGNIFICANTLY. You're also going to have to trim the HVAC control box. CAUTION: be very careful gnawing up your dash with the wire-looms/harnesses. They're everywhere behind the plastic. I was very careful yet, I wound up slashing a key harness' 2 or 3 wires and had to remove the instrument cluster and do some soldering repairs - big P.I.T.A. Next, the white HVAC control box is EXTREMELY brittle plastic. Go very slowly and be very deliberate - or you'll wind up with a non-functional, crumbled paperweight.

After much back and forth in my head between buying a plastic welder or going the chemical route, I bought a couple of packages of JBWeld. I'm hooked on the stuff! It's amazing. Basically, it's reinforced epoxy from what I gather. Even with the kit's faceplate, you're going to have to perform a good deal of plastic surgery on the dash plate to get it in there just right. Then, you're going to have to either JBWeld or plastic-weld the two pieces together as shown in the pictures. Look, it's an art and a science (mostly art) - kind o like auto body work. If you want it to look great, it's going to take a great deal of patience.

Here's where I am so far after two rounds of JBWeld. I'm also going to apply a little bit of bondo and glass mat to get the shapes just right then sand to perfection and paint of course. I'll post the finished product when I'm done.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 100

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Really cool mod, they look amazing when done right.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

Restoguy

Reaction score
Please keep us updated. I'm seriously considering this mod.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like my pocket too much, so I am relocating the A/C controls. But this does look great when done right. Keep us updated.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any which way you slice it, this mod is a major PITA. It's not difficult work, it's just a lot of tedious work. Well, that is if you want it to look good. The dash hacking, HVAC hacking, wiring is relatively easy. The majority of the work lies in incorporating the faceplate into the existing OEM bezel. As you can see below, it required a LOT of test fitting, slowly removing material from both pieces, more test fitting, 3 or 4 rounds of JBWeld, 1 or 2 skim coats of Bondo, and a whole TON of sanding and checking. I used a drill (and air grinder) with a conical grinding bit and one of those oscillating tools. I guess a Dremel could have worked well here too. Plastic welding may have worked as well. I've finally got it to where it's ready for paint! w00t! If you've done auto-body work before, this is probably right up your alley.