dome light swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I did this in my 99 K2500 Silverado. I have 2 sets to install in my 98 crewcab sometime soon.

The factory pickup dome lights have 2 wires going to them, a constant power and a switched ground for the door lights. The map lights were grounded through the screws to the sheetmetal.

The suburban lights had a 3rd wire for the ground and did not use the mounting screws like the pickup style.

The SUV style dome light fits right in, no modifications to the roof structure.

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i forgot to grab the harness with the overhead console. it has 2 oranges, would i just splice them together and run it to the orange for he dome light?

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright i got it all wired up and it lights up better than before :) ill be doing a final install for the overhead console with working lights and i need to get some self tappers for my dome light
You must be registered for see images attach

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thankyou :) i got the overhead console done untill i start the last project with that but untill the its installed with working lights finally and now im trying to fix my overhead light :/ one of the connections didnt quite like the space it was given and snapped. so i tried saudering with what i had and it was alittle to rough and grounds out on the roof so now im trying to take the connection off of my old overhead light and use that to replace the broken one

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had to go back to the yard to get another light, and i figured out for this swap you need the rear light out of a suburban as the front one sits to shallow. i will be posting pictures of the differences between the front and rear suburban lights as well as posting the finished pictures once i find my camera lol all in all well worth the work and will be even more so once i get the led's for the map lights :)

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I guess that's why mine fit right away, I used a rear one

Sent from the Rat powered LG

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright finally found a camera, may not be the best but it works :) i got everything done and working flawlessly