Do I need upper control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've asked this question before, didn't really get any answers, so I'll try again.
I have a 98 c1500, swb, reg cab, 2wheel Dr with a 4/6 drop on 20s. I'm going through upper ball joint boots as fast as I install them. The angle of the control arm is putting the ball joints at such an angle that the boots rip.
My question is should I invest in new upper A arms for lowered trucks? Or, I've heard of some guys taking 88-98 c2500 upper A arms and flipping them over and then switching passenger side and driverside. Has any1 heard of this? I've seen some at the pic n pull and it looks like it would work

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Not into the lowered trucks, but I would go with the control arms made for lowered trucks. On a 4x4 if you flipped stock arms like that you would have the shocks rubbing on the arms.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How is your front drop done? I've put a lifetime of miles on 4/6 (and 5/7) dropped GMT400's with springs & spindles and never, ever tore up a ball joint like you're describing.

There are some special ball joints the bagged guys sometimes run but I forget what they're called. You really shouldn't need anything but stock, though.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is your front drop done? I've put a lifetime of miles on 4/6 (and 5/7) dropped GMT400's with springs & spindles and never, ever tore up a ball joint like you're describing.

There are some special ball joints the bagged guys sometimes run but I forget what they're called. You really shouldn't need anything but stock, though.

Richard
Those guys will run K1500 upper joints because they allow greater angles.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
ive got 2in lower control arms and 2in spindles[all djm]
Really...that's a funky combo. Doesn't it put your scrub line really, really close to the ground? In other words, bottom of the lower arm very close to the ground?

Usually a 4" front drop is springs + spindles, no issues whatsoever.

Richard

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There a lil low, but that's how they are designed. 15 years ago control arms were the way to go. If I could swap em for springs I would

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
this is what I'm talking about. My stock A arm is putting my ball joints in an awkward angle, aftermarket A arms change that angle. So I think I found my answer.
I've also heard of people taking the stock A arms and flipping them, then switching the drivers and passenger sides, because they are offset.