diy y pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how i can put together a y pipe. i went to my closest shop and they told me that it would cost me 500$ and i would be better off put on a new stock exhaust. so after a min looking around for their crack pipe i left and here i am. help me please another shop is not in the cards because my area police are very hard on anything different and the next closest shop is 40 miles away. i do not want to take a chance. any help on this would be great.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is an insane amount, I have never payed paid that much for a whole exhaust system. Are you wanting to keep the y up close to the front like original or come down behind the tailshaft of the trans and crossover?

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what i am trying to do is i have some ebay mid headers so i want to run 2.5 y pipe to the hi flo cat.

how much would i have to mod that ebay y pipe?

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what happen to the time when you could go to a shop , tell them what you want , pay your money and get what you asked for. why do shop owners want to tell you what you should do with your truck?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Dude 500 bucks is nuts. Go to a different shop. You should by the Y pipe and take it to a shop. Tell them to weld the collectors(assuming you are using some) to the Y pipe. Shouldn't cost more than a hundred bucks. I haven't paid for an exhaust system since 2004 but I wouldn't think they went up that much. Last time I did was a complete manifold back system. I took in the X pipe, they provided the tubing and two Cherry Bombs and turned it down behind the rear axle. Cost me 250 bucks for everything.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you think i could do some clamps and flex pipe til i find a shop? or does anyone have another idea/

Last edited:

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the guys you're getting the headers from, offer anything that matches up to their product?

nope. check this out. so i go to this shop and i get the same round around. so i'm outside the shop and one of the workers starts to talk to me about my truck. after a few mins he says that i have to go over to maryland because in loundoun county the reason for he run around because there is so much work they can pick and choose who's car they work and they use the Virginia inspection laws to push work on a customer. i keep getting the same thing when i go to these shops. " oh you need to do a factory set up. oh you can't use an after market cat. oh if the cat is not in the factory position you will fail Virginia inspection." i did find one shop willing to do the work but the guy had no clue what he was talking. he told me i needed to buy four new o2 sensors for my 95 burban. so i know there is no way for me to drive thru virginia then DC to maryland with open headers. so i need at least a way to drive and not get tickets. the only other way to get this done is for me to pay the shop i take this to install my headers. I ain't doing that.