Disc brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never seen Little Shop of Horrors brake stuff in person. I've seen their web site, and I've looked at the photos of their brackets.

This kit?
$600 for rear discs with park brake?

I should sell eleven foot poles for stuff like that, 'cause I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. It is absolutely true that the 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear drums are total crap. However, most rear-disc conversions are more "show" than "whoah". That Little Shop of Horrors disc kit fails to properly support the calipers, putting excess stress on the mounting pins.

When I wanted to pitch the hateful 254mm drum brakes on my '88 K1500, I installed the 11.130" rear Duo-Servo drums. They practically give 'em away at the Treasure Yard. (In full disclosure, I installed the entire K2500 six-lug axle, upgrading the axle AND the brakes at the same time.) However, for 5-lug trucks, things get more complex. You'd need new 5-lug drums or convert to 6-lug wheels.

I just think that for $600, you can do way better using OEM-style 11.130 drums rather than some disc-conversion kit.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats Bull

I have them on my SF 14 bolt and they perform excellent provided you use the right parts.

Shurkey, what do you have against rear disc brakes or Little Shop? Every time somebody mentions rear disc brakes you chime in about how they don't work, or not engineered correctly...........

Attachments

• IMG_7289.JPG
    IMG_7289.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 562.JPG
    562.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6793.JPG
    IMG_6793.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 141

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was looking at the 14" wildwoods there about $5k I seen numerous videos on people installing them. If someone would make a nbs bracket/spindle conversion I would buy but there's not much of a selection on big brake kits for obs trucks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats Bull

I have them on my SF 14 bolt and they perform excellent provided you use the right parts.

Shurkey, what do you have against rear disc brakes or Little Shop? Every time somebody mentions rear disc brakes you chime in about how they don't work, or not engineered correctly...........
YOUR PHOTO...
You must be registered for see images attach

...shows the incompetent and even DANGEROUS "engineering" of the flat-steel caliper mounting bracket. Caliper thrust is taken inboard of the inboard pad--so that both pads contribute force trying to twist the caliper. The caliper mounting pins are stressed in both shear, and with bending loads; stressed in ways not intended by GM. In fact, when mounted the way GM does, the pins are not stressed much at all.

GM caliper brackets take caliper thrust between the two pads--centered--using a cast-iron or formed-steel support so the caliper doesn't twist on it's mounts. Not off to one side, using the pins as reaction members to prevent (1) caliper movement with the rotor, and (2) caliper twist. This is the difference between OEM engineers who know what the hell they're doing...and Little Shop of Horrors "engineers" who can half-ass a bracket that will put a caliper in the right location (but without proper support).

I do compliment you on having enough sense to retain a park brake. The fact that Little Shop of Horrors offers to "upgrade" brakes by deleting Federally-mandated safety equipment is a concern of mine.

As I've said on other posts, it takes a REAL disc system to equal the braking power of the 11.130" or 13" rear drums. Getting rid of the horrible 254mm drum brakes is a great plan. The real problem with the 1/2-ton trucks is not the lack of disc brakes, it's the lack of decent drum brakes. GM should have been sued and forced to recall every full-size truck it equipped with the 254mm drums. Replacing the 254mm drums with the 11.x Duo-Servo drums costs a fraction of what a disc conversion costs, and works at least as well, probably better.

I have Z-E-R-O problem with a PROPERLY-DESIGNED rear disc system. I'm not enthusiastic about paying the high prices for such a system, when Treasure Yards are full of adequately-sized rear drums that can be a financially-responsible upgrade to marginal rear brakes.

Last edited:

Paul 97 tahoe

Reaction score
Proverbs 23:9: "Don't waste your breathe on a fool. We have installed like 5 or 6 Little Shop rear disc brake conversion kits on OBS Chevy trucks/Tahoes over the years with master cylinder upgrade ect. None of them have ever had a problem over decades now, and the the brakes were night and day better on every one of them. Even with OEM proportioning valve, with or without the mod. done to it. Yeah my 2 cents worth.

Reaction score
I got a kit for mine from lugnut4x4. For the 14 bolt semi float. Retained the parking brake but I have yet to hook it up. My factory cables were not in great shape. My kit was more than LSM but I did get there nbs master conversion. Worked beautiful on the setup I have. Total change in brake feel

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
YOUR PHOTO...
You must be registered for see images attach

...shows the incompetent and even DANGEROUS "engineering" of the flat-steel caliper mounting bracket. Caliper thrust is taken inboard of the inboard pad--so that both pads contribute force trying to twist the caliper. The caliper mounting pins are stressed in both shear, and with bending loads; stressed in ways not intended by GM. In fact, when mounted the way GM does, the pins are not stressed much at all.

GM caliper brackets take caliper thrust between the two pads--centered--using a cast-iron or formed-steel support so the caliper doesn't twist on it's mounts. Not off to one side, using the pins as reaction members to prevent (1) caliper movement with the rotor, and (2) caliper twist. This is the difference between OEM engineers who know what the hell they're doing...and Little Shop of Horrors "engineers" who can half-ass a bracket that will put a caliper in the right location (but without proper support).

I do compliment you on having enough sense to retain a park brake. The fact that Little Shop of Horrors offers to "upgrade" brakes by deleting Federally-mandated safety equipment is a concern of mine.

As I've said on other posts, it takes a REAL disc system t equal the braking power of the 11.130" or 13" rear drums. Getting rid of the horrible 254mm drum brakes is a great plan. The real problem with the 1/2-ton trucks is not the lack of disc brakes, it's the lack of decent drum brakes. GM should have been sued and forced to recall every full-size truck it equipped with the 254mm drums. Replacing the 254mm drums with the 11.x Duo-Servo drums costs a fraction of what a disc conversion costs, and works at least as well, probably better.

I have Z-E-R-O problem with a PROPERLY-DESIGNED rear disc system. I'm not enthusiastic about paying the high prices for such a system, when Treasure Yards are full of adequately-sized rear drums that can be a financially-responsible upgrade to marginal rear brakes.
Where did you get your engineering degree from?

Yes and that's your opinion, Its a free world (AT LEAST FOR NOW)

Your drum brakes suck and weigh 200# more

My Brakes are cooler than yours, just admit it..................

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am using wilwood setup with parking brake. Overall works well. If that mounting uses slide pins to hold the caliper, I would prefer a different option.