Disc brake swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Quick question, I have a 1998 z71 drum brakes in the rear. I was wondering if a 1999 4 wheel drive half ton s rearend will bolt right up.? Looks the same. I didnt kno about the whole drum to disc

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I believe the spring perch width on the GMT-800s is different... possibly shock mounts too.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How would I go about measuring that? Cause the truck is in the junk yard so I cant get a side by side comparison

Very carefully? I'm not sure how to get a good meaningful measurement since the pumpkin is in the way, especially in a salvage yard. It's pretty well always stated that they're different and mounts need to be moved, so I wouln't concern myself with verifying that. The thing would be to accurately measure things when welding new ones on. I have never done this. I still have drums, and plenty of other things that need attention first.

Reaction score
Shock mounts are close enough to the same that they work, but the spring pads have to be moved. I found out the hard way and though I have a built 10 bolt with disc brakes in my truck now... I have waaaayyyyy more money into a 10 bolt than its worth. Shoulda followed my instinct and swapped in a 14 bolt.