Disabling Steering Wheel and Shifter Lock, Voice Activated Start Plans in Progress...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I want to disable the steering wheel and shifter lock on my 99 Tahoe for a custom remote start system I am working on. I am not to worried about anti-theft not working because there is no one in my area that would take a second look at my vehicle and if they wanted it it would be easy to take anyway.

The reason for this is because I am making a Arduino baised remote start from scratch that has the a long range remote and also has voice recognition in the cab. Think about how cool it would be to step into the vehicle, say something like "engine start" and the vehicle starts. The uncool part is having to use the key to turn on the ignition anyway to unlock the steering wheel. The voice activation chip has a voice password that can be used for security along with the keyfob itself that can be used as an RFID that disables the system when out of range. This also would be useful for anyone that is looking it custom dashes and want to add that imported push-to-start switch in their vehicle.

This project is something I have been working on for a while and will be posting it open source on this forum when completed. When I finish getting the parts needed to finish the install I will create a build thread for it here.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Well...the steering wheel lock is mechanical so no real way around that one and iirc so is the shifter lock. Besides..you would still need to use the key to power up the rest of the system otherwise you would end up starting it by voice and have the truck die the first time you applied the brakes lol

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
The rest of the system would be powered up through a set of relays just like any other remote start system. It will basicly be just like an aftermarket remote start system with the addition of in vehicle voice activation and/or push button start.

I did have a gheto home made remote start system on my vehicle shortly after I bought it. A few months after I bought my truck the stupid internals of the ignition switch shorted out and I had to remove them in order to drive it. I basicly drove it around hot wired with 4 relays for the ignition with a switch controlling it, and a push button for the starter. I then bought one of those 4 button remote controls from Autozone that are for lights or some crap like that and tied it into the relays. I used two buttons to control the door locks, one to turn on the ignition, and one to activate the starter. I even had a relay setup that killed the starter when the output wire from the alt was high. The system worked great, but I still had to use the key to unlock the steering wheel. I have since then replaced the ignition switch and removed the remote box, but keep the ignition relays wired for future use.

The only other thing I have to figure out is a RPM activated switch to cut the starter when the engine is at idle. The relay system worked but would sometimes grind the starter because of the unreliable input from the alt. I have schematics for one but have not made a prototype board for it yet. It was originally designed for NO2 activation, but I will have to modify it for low rpm use.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The biggest problem you are gonna run into is without the key on, your passlock is gonna lock up and not let it run. This is controlled by a sensor on the lock cylinder, not the ignition switch itself. You are going to have to bypass it if you want it to run without a key in it at all. (either this or you already have it bypassed, but not mentioned) I have a write up on doing this if you need it. As far as the steering wheel and column lock, you should be able to disassemble and pull (or cut) the lock rod out of the column where it won't lock. Shifter should be same story.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Sorry to mention before but I did disable passlock when I installed the remote start. It is on a relay so it only functions when in remote start. When using the key the factory setup is in use.

BTW though this thread can be marked as solved. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. The column shifter is super simple, just remove the column shroud and remove the cable from the key housing. It even uses a quick disconnect. The wheel lock is a bit harder and involves removing the steering wheel to get to the pin, but you could be lazy and hold down the pin with some gorilla tape without removing the wheel. I tried it this way just for kicks, but I would rather remove the pin just to be sure it was disabled. It would suck if that thing decided to pop out while driving and lock the wheel.

Here is a pick of the cable that locks the shifter:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
So, I have finished the code for the Arduino and plans have changed a bit. I tried out the VR on my vehicle and it works decient. I had plans on expanding this into making most funtions voice activated, such as turning on the headlights and controling the HVAC, but it seems the resonance from the Flowmaster does not work to well with it. It works great with the engine off, but as soon as I start it all bets are off on it working. There is no point on spending the extra money on a VR shield if you can not use it while driving. Maybe I will get something figrued out in the future.

I have also decided on keeping the steering wheel/shifter lock in place since there is no point is disabling it without the voice commands. I did however find a way to use a long range remote setup (up to 200 ft) from RFDigital and have the code set up to trigger an almost unlimited amount of outputs from a single kefob. I have also found a way to have feedback in the form of wave files, so customization is almost endless. I will keep this post updated with my current Arduino sketch if anyone wants to try it along with schmatics and flowcharts once I make them.

Now, if anyone knows how to make a starter anti-grind circuit it would be helpful. I have schmatics for an RPM activated switch for NO2 or a shift light, but I don't think it will go low enough for a starter protection.

edit: I forgot to mention that my code also has built in HVAC control, so not only can you start the engine, you can also turn on the heater or A/C! You also have the option of using your factory keyfob, but the range will probably be not as good. I have to be within 20' of the vehicle to use mine.

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to do something along these lines if you get it all figured out.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I have it figured out, I just need to get some funds together for the prototype. I am in a middle of a move so it might take a while. I did figure out a way to make a universal kefob, meaning that a single keyfob can control multiple vehicles, individualy by cycling through them. Finally, I will have a kefob for all my vehicles and will not have to carry all of them at once!