DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
That is my big concern with the spool. I just wonder how hard it will be on them? Given I have been able to keep the ifs together.

Care to explain why it pulls the front end down while turning? Not sure I understand what you mean.

with a spool the binding energy has to go somewhere so it tends to go to the springs and compress them, usually worse with a solid axle and crossover, will want to compress pass side when turning left and compress driverside when turning right, see it all the time with spooled trucks at the bogs.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the traction of the ARB when I need it, but I would HATE life if I couldn't unlock it on the fly. IT doesn't turn for crap even with the big double ended hydraulic ram on the front end aired down and just pushes. I run unlocked I'd guess at 85% of the time.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would a posi carrier be any better and allow for some easier steering? The auburn gear posi units and to bad priced, unfortunately a selectable locker is out of the budget completly.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Would a posi carrier be any better and allow for some easier steering? The auburn gear posi units and to bad priced, unfortunately a selectable locker is out of the budget completly.

yes a posi is good up front, it has some give to it so you are able to steer pretty much like a open front.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dom is cheap from many ebay sellers, same with the heim joints and inserts, i need to look around to find the name of the company i ordered from

ill have to look into it some more. trying to get ball joints and all axle seals and spindles rebuilt befoer i do the steering rods

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
a LSD would be better then a locker for a all around, weekend truck. a locker for mud or Designated trail truck for the front end.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt get much accomplished this weekend. Balljoints are in so arent the u-joints, about all I can do with the axle for now until gears are done. I got the overloads removed and springs cleaned up and painted. I also got the truck jacked up and ready to start dropping the front susupension out, T-bars are unloaded and shocks are removed, then the rain started.

This week I might get the gears ordered, I want to have truck ready for hunting season which is coming quicker then I thought, first of October. Also try to pick up the TRE's and order pitman arm and stud kit for steering. Undecided which knuckle to have retapered, if having the TRE on top will rub the front springs or not? Still need to get new brake calipers, then I should be close to everything needed for parts.

Anyone have any experience on welding the factory tow hooks to new x-member?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
dont bother with the factory hooks if you plan on using them as recovery points in mud, they are too weak and either straighten out or break