didpstick tube removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone successfully remove the trans dipstick tube? I've tried a number of different sized and angled wrenches and sockets and can't seem to get a good purchase nor any turning on the bracket stud nut. I spent 4 hours on this and it's still not loose... What a PITA!

What tool did you use?

What size is the nut?

Last edited:

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which tools? It seemed that an offset wrench cut down to about 5 inches in length would have worked.
I tried a regular bent box end wrench but the angle couldn't get behind the tube to the nut...
I tried an offset wrench but it was too long to turn....
I tried a regular 3/8 drive ratchet but the shallow socket it too short as the stud head sticks out the end and a deepwell is too deep to get over the stud...
I even tried a Kobalt 3/8 drive wrench with and adjustable angle head and sockets that would let the stud pass thru but couldn't get enough leverage to get the bolt loose...
I ended up taking this off from the bottom as part of the full transmission removal.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh the Trans dipstick........ That's another beast entirely......

Sent from somewhere in MN