Did I just buy the wrong Service Manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a (what I thought was) a great deal on eBay for the Service Manual for my 1999 Chevy C2500 Classic Longbed 2WD truck. The cover clearly says C/K and Silverado, and I was sure it would cover my GMT400. The first page (see pic), however, doesn't say anything about C/K, only Silverado/Sierra. It also says GMT/99. I've thumbed through all three (3) volumes and nothing stands out on whether these books cover my truck model, which I know is a leftover from 1998. Now I'm confused! Does anyone know if I have the correct Service Manual? If not, should I just try to find a 1998 Chevy Truck Service Manual? Any help appreciated. Thanks. P
You must be registered for see images attach

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a C2500 Classic? To my knowledge, that's a different body style than the NBS. Look at the curvature of the front fenders. See how the Classic is flat and the NBS has a lip near the windshield? Dead giveaway of the difference in chassis.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a C2500 Classic? To my knowledge, that's a different body style than the NBS. Look at the curvature of the front fenders. See how the Classic is flat and the NBS has a lip near the windshield? Dead giveaway of the difference in chassis.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.
Yes, that's what I have. The body style is def. different. So the whole chassis is as well? What's throwing me off is that I believed when Chevy came out with the Silverado model it dropped the C/K designation. Is that now incorrect? Thanks for your reply. P

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Those look like the (wrong) books I bought new for my 1999 k2500 many years ago.

After ordering the right set of books (4 volumes / light blue color) I gave them to a friend who had a newer body style truck.

Here are a set for sale that look like mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185850886353?hash=item2b459378d1:g:QIoAAOSwcz1kNHeP

Here the 1998 manuals are available for download.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/

Thanks to GMT400 for those, I have downloaded and used them.

Best of luck.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the wrong manual. That is for the GMT800 Silverado 1500 which was introduced as a 1999 model year.

To confuse things, in 1999, there were still 1999 model year GMT400s C/K 1500s being sold. Also, the GMT400 C/K 2500 and 3500s were sold until 2000.

Therefore, you can find a 1999 service manual for a GMT400 or a GMT800. Have to be very careful when you search for a service manual for that reason. It will also affect other years, such as 2007. That is when Chevrolet changed from the GMT800 to GMT900. So, double service manuals for a single model year happens quite often with Chevrolet/GM.

Anyway, this is the manual you need:

It's a four-volume set.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's throwing me off is that I believed when Chevy came out with the Silverado model it dropped the C/K designation. Is that now incorrect? Thanks for your reply. P
I thought so, too. I think GM realized it was a cause of confusion and eventually dropped it from later GMT800 service manuals. I have a 2002 set, and it does not mention C/K on the cover like your 1999 does.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes the light blue 4 book set that says 1999 C/K trucks, and has the Chevy, GMC and Cadillac emblem/dealership signs on the covers, is the book for '99 400 trucks. Also has the SUVs in it(why the Cadillac notation is on the cover). I have these for my Burb (except I'm missing book #4, if anyone has an extra one, I'm interested).

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for your helpful comments! I really appreciate it.

Well, it looks like I have a very nice set of 1999 Chevy Silverado Service Manuals (they're almost brand new) that I don't need. If there is a member here who would like them for their truck (please, not to re-sell), send me a pre-paid UPS label and I'll drop it off at the UPS store this week. I think I paid $19 for the shipping. Message me. Thanks! P

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we sure GM has dropped the C/K prefix? When I had my 2018 Silverado 1500, I’m pretty sure it was still recognized as a K1500, at least in some places.
I remember now, it was CarFax that kept referring to it as a 2018 K1500. So yeah, I guess it died with the OBS. :(

Last edited: