Desperately need advice on rear ends.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1993 C 1500 extended cab. Recently there was an 5.3 ls swap, 4l80e transmission. Well the 10 bolt was making noise. Was debating the idea of rebuilding, getting a unit from a wrecking yard or ordering a unit from strange.
The strange unit seems kind of expensive but I love the idea of new parts and knowing the history of the parts to be honest. The idea of the junkyard unit sure budget friendly budget friendly but in all realities kind of a crapshoot if you ask me especially with unknown histories like you know in histories like if the person ever maintained the unit or beat the hell out of the vehicle is over 29 years old.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Around me, an 8.5” 10 bolt is $100. They even torched it out of the truck for me. If you aren’t too knowledgeable with differentials, I’d pull a the cover off a few, inspect everything, and figure out the gear ratio. Unfortunately you’d still be stuck with a G80 or an open diff.

On the flip side, I did this for just a housing and stripped it all down. Still have all the old guts and axles. I just blew my G80 Thursday pulling out of a gas station at a mere 10 mph so maybe tomorrow or the next day, I’m installing my new Yukon posi, bearings, and 3.73 gears.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something to consider if you try to rebuild yours is if you have 28 or 30 spline axles. This is important if you buy a new locker. I can’t remember which year they switched over. I want to say 91 is when they switched to 30 spline but maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Around me, an 8.5” 10 bolt is $100. They even torched it out of the truck for me. If you aren’t too knowledgeable with differentials, I’d pull a the cover off a few, inspect everything, and figure out the gear ratio. Unfortunately you’d still be stuck with a G80 or an open diff.

On the flip side, I did this for just a housing and stripped it all down. Still have all the old guts and axles. I just blew my G80 Thursday pulling out of a gas station at a mere 10 mph so maybe tomorrow or the next day, I’m installing my new Yukon posi, bearings, and 3.73 gears.
I would probably consider that

langkg

Reaction score
I have a 1993 C 1500 extended cab. Recently there was an 5.3 ls swap, 4l80e transmission. Well the 10 bolt was making noise. Was debating the idea of rebuilding, getting a unit from a wrecking yard or ordering a unit from strange.
The strange unit seems kind of expensive but I love the idea of new parts and knowing the history of the parts to be honest. The idea of the junkyard unit sure budget friendly budget friendly but in all realities kind of a crapshoot if you ask me especially with unknown histories like you know in histories like if the person ever maintained the unit or beat the hell out of the vehicle is over 29 years old.
Not exactly the same situation as you but I changed my K1500 from 3.42 to 3.73. Front differential was a simple bolt in swap when I found a 3.73. I bought a rebuilt axle with open diff and 3.73 gears for cheap and put in a Detroit True Trac and never looked back. That would be a great diff for your C1500