Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using tires to find them, caught one in the small utility trailer LOL it was quite far from the building. kicked off the roof or fell out of a tool belt. I found a hole on the mower, but no screw. I'm hoping I'm done finding them
Yeah, that’s how we find nails around the farm. We have a lot of tires . In a smaller area, the magnet works pretty well.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy from Commonwealth Garage Door came out yesterday to measure the bay doors. He asked a few questions, made a couple of helpful suggestions, and was done in 15 minutes. He’ll email the estimate, and if that’s the company I go with, the doors should be installed within 3 - 4 weeks.

Haven’t yet decided how many doors really need to have automatic openers. Maybe all of them.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing. If going with overhead garage doors, I encourage using the high-mount option on the overhead door tracks / rails. Mount the rails as close to the ceiling (or angled if your ceiling is sloped) to give yourself as much overhead clearance as possible, especially if planning for a lift. Any garage door company installer should know how to do this. Not common, people often overlook this detail, but a game change for overhead clearance, and very little extra cost.

Thanks again. The guy from Commonwealth suggested doing this for the 9 x 8 door. Oddly enough, the guy from Amelia Overhead Door never mentioned it.

I've asked both to revise their quotes to include this feature on all three bay doors.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy from Commonwealth Garage Door came out yesterday to measure the bay doors. He asked a few questions, made a couple of helpful suggestions, and was done in 15 minutes.

The guy from Commonwealth Garage Door came out yesterday to measure the bay doors. He asked a few questions, made a couple of helpful suggestions, and was done in 15 minutes. He’ll email the estimate, and if that’s the company I go with, the doors should be installed within 3 - 4 weeks.

Haven’t yet decided how many doors really need to have automatic openers. Maybe all of them.
Mine has roll up doors so I'm not sure that's an option, but I'm not a big fan of rf frequency door openers after my mother pulled up in my Aunt's driveway for an X-mas gathering and my mother's car based opener was on the same frequency and opened the garage, there are individuals out there with rf scanners. Criminals have no boundaries. My Aunts house and my mothers built in car opener was just freak chance of luck but......you never know. Hardwired openers sure. I'll take some inconvenience in the name of security.

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has roll up doors so I'm not sure that's an option, but I'm not a big fan of rf frequency door openers after my mother pulled up in my Aunt's driveway for an X-mas gathering and my mother's car based opener was on the same frequency and opened the garage, there are individuals out there with rf scanners. Criminals have no boundaries. My Aunts house and my mothers built in car opener was just freak chance of luck but......you never know. Hardwired openers sure. I'll take some inconvenience in the name of security.
Thanks for bringing that up. Fortunately, security isn’t much of an issue here, as we’re in the sticks, at the end of a ½ mile gravel driveway. There is no through traffic. Anyone that shows up here is someone we know or are expecting.

That said, we‘ll probably wind up going old school, with no openers. Two of the three vehicles that will be parked inside will be driven a lot less frequently than our DDs.

I don‘t mind the minor inconvenience of getting out to open and close the bay doors. Although when it’s raining, it’s nice to have an opener. So I could see adding maybe one in the future.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I need my own shop. I’ve got stuff scattered around at least 3 different properties.
I really need a house of my own too so maybe I’ll build a 2500 sqft shop and put a 200 sqft loft apartment in a corner :anitoof:

When you do electrical, add at least a single outlet wherever you may or may not have an opener.