Dead Dome Override

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt to try, the switches are pretty cheap. If you have bad door sensors that can also cause issues.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Did some reading in the back of the burb with the 18 month old this morning (little guy loves getting in the truck) and the dome lights actually went out with the doors open. So the dome light override appears to be working all of a sudden. I've never had as much electrical weirdness in any other vehicle as I've had with this burb so far...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC, the dome override won't engage if the lights are already on. That can get confusing. If you press it while a door is open and the lights are on, they'll stay on until you shut the door and let them shut off normally. Then the override will kick in and keep them off.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I started to post the same thing the other night, but then I remembered that I have an alarm system in my truck. The dome light comes on when I lock or unlock the doors with the remote. I am not sure if it still does this with the over ride switch on or not. So I just wasn't sure if the alarm system had anything to do with the switch or not. Now I see that it doesn't.
IIRC, the dome override won't engage if the lights are already on. That can get confusing. If you press it while a door is open and the lights are on, they'll stay on until you shut the door and let them shut off normally. Then the override will kick in and keep them off.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score

That's interesting. I don't recall reading that in the manual, or maybe I just didn't get it. Maybe that was my issue the whole time as I was probably testing it with a door open already.

I started to post the same thing the other night, but then I remembered that I have an alarm system in my truck. The dome light comes on when I lock or unlock the doors with the remote. I am not sure if it still does this with the over ride switch on or not. So I just wasn't sure if the alarm system had anything to do with the switch or not. Now I see that it doesn't.

I don't think I have an alarm, at least, not an aftermarket one. My lights still go on for a little bit when I lock and unlock the doors with the remote as well.