cutting coils, I searched

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I did some searching here and it seems like a full coil will yield ~ 3" of drop, does that sound about right? I ordered some spindles and a flip but only want about a 4/6 drop so how much should I cut off the coils to get me 2" ? I realize every truck will be different based on mileage, motor... Just don't want to cut and have to pull these damn coils out more than once haha.. Thanks in advance for any help

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
yep I cut a full coil and got right at three inches drop.... unfortunately there is no definite answer as to how much to actually cut to get two inches... your best bet is to do the whole cut a little and measure blah blah blah. but I'm thinking on average one coil is around three inches so half a coil should be around 1.5 give or take.... so maybe around 3/4 of a coil would give you about two inches? just keep in mind once it's cut it's gone so if it ends up a little lower than your wanting you'll be stuck with it... also I would suggest using a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel for the job. just absolutely don't use a torch. any other questions you may have I'll be glad to help as much as I can! :cheers:

sent from the c1500 Denali

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
are you cutting stock coils are after market drop coils?

i wouldn't cut a stock coil... too soft, will ride badly.

this seems to be what everyone says... however it's not the case my truck is jive and tight up front and rides and handles way better than it did before I cut the stock springs.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
this seems to be what everyone says... however it's not the case my truck is jive and tight up front and rides and handles way better than it did before I cut the stock springs.

i didn't cut my stock coils, i used 2" drop springs and cut a half a coil off later on.. and they were softer after i cut half a coil off.. funny how that works.. usually a cut coil is more harsh riding.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
i didn't cut my stock coils, i used 2" drop springs and cut a half a coil off later on.. and they were softer after i cut half a coil off.. funny how that works.. usually a cut coil is more harsh riding.

I would say mine does ride just a tad bit "stiffer" than factory... but it's not shock your brain harsh... it feels sportier imo

Reaction score
Cut it with a cut off wheel, if you use a cutting torch it will weaken the spring. Try 1/2 a coil and just half *** bolt it together and put the weight on it.. trim a lil more if its not low enough.. better to cut to little and try, then cut to much and be fkd..

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 78 rides great with one coil cut.

Heated springs are the ones that ride like crap because the spring rate is altered by the heat.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the prevous owner of my truck had heated the stock coils on my truck. i replaced them with new coils from auto zone and i cut 1 coil of them. the ride was a much improvement over the heated springs. the cut springs handle well and are not soft.