Custom Cluster/ Instrument Panel Turn Signal Resistor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got the new console installed. Have checked EVERY connection, ground, etc. does anyone know if there is an internal resistor in the factory instrment panel to keep the signal lights “on” when illumination is on ?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, turn signal circuit is separate - brake and turn. Instrument lighting functions with headlight switch. Check the wire diagrams for your year.
When you say keep the lights on, in what context? You want to know why they are on when they should not be on? Or you want them to be on with instrument lighting?
When you turn headlights did you cross turn signal circuit into taillight ? Tail light and headlights are apples. Brake and turn are oranges.
With engine on, headlights off do you have turn signal when selected?

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With engine on, headlights off do you have turn signal when selected
Yes. In the first part of the video, that is where i turned on left turn, then right turn, then back to normal position.

The “only” thing i could possibly think of. I installed the boost auto turn signal / clearance light resistor on the tow Mirrrors. But when i had the original cluster in, the signals did not come on when i turned the clearance lights on

And when i say illumination, i mean the lights on dash / clearance lights, not headlights. I just turned them
On to show the hi beam light workIng also

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you added a lemon to the equation. I all can see is what I have in factory wire diagrams. Without diagrams, those accessories, you should be able to get help from them.
Good luck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought in your older thread there had been some helpful suggestions, maybe someone already went down this path so forgive me if it's a repeat. And also forgive me that I don't have a specific solution, but at least somewhere to start.

The issue is that you're using LED's. The factory cluster uses incandescent bulbs. The LED's have a lot less current draw and will "ghost" in many applications where you originally had incandescents. In the factory setup there will be no resistors needed. You may need to add them to your turn signal indicator circuit to keep those LED's from staying on when you have the headlights on. The value of resistor needed is probably something you'll need to experiment with, and also be extremely aware of placing them near anything they could melt or burn, if they're of enough resistance value to get hot.

For discussion's sake/anecdotal evidence, I've fought varying degrees of LED ghosting on my GMT800. From factory all the exterior lighting is incandescent, with exception of the turn signal indicators build into the side mirrors. In my 2006 Silverado, the factory indicators in the cluster are LED's; only the backlighting is incandescent. As designed, the system works fine. When I started changing exterior bulbs to LED's - brake/tail, front and rear turn signals and corners, reverse, tag lights, CHMSL/cargo, everything.. then I started noticing the turn signal indicators in the cluster ghosting, and also random elements in the side mirror signal indicators, too; but just like in your case - only when the headlights are on.

Richard

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you added a lemon to the equation. I all can see is what I have in factory wire diagrams. Without diagrams, those accessories, you should be able to get help from them.
Good luck.
Fwiw; i took the lemon (boosted relay) out the equation. i still had the lemonade. Gona see if the resistors fix that when they come in