Crew Cab Dome Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimpala

Reaction score
Any ideas what would cause the front dome light not to work on my CC, but the rear does? All my under dash lights and door lights work as they should, as does the rear dome light and map lights. However, I have nothing on the front dome light and map lights.

I'm thinking I have a short somewhere in the wiring of the front dome assembly, but I figured I'd ask and see if there was a switch or module I'm overlooking.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The orange wire should have 12v+ all the time. the white wire gets grounded for the bulb to light. If the light has map lights then there will be a black wire that grounds to them through the switches by them. Judging by your symptoms the orange wire is compromised. It generally screws up right at the connection to the light fixture.

Grimpala

Reaction score
The orange wire should have 12v+ all the time. the white wire gets grounded for the bulb to light. If the light has map lights then there will be a black wire that grounds to them through the switches by them. Judging by your symptoms the orange wire is compromised. It generally screws up right at the connection to the light fixture.

Copy, I don't have any power at the light at all and all connections/wires look good. I guess I get to go hunting for a short. Do you happen to know if the wires run down the A or B pillar?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Yup! They run down the A pillar to under the dash to where is looks like a wire factory threw up.:doublepuke:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Be VERY GENTLE removing the A pillar and toe kick panels. they are brittle. Look at some images of how the clips are oriented if you haven't pulled them off before.

Grimpala

Reaction score
Thanks. I used to have a 96 Ext Cab and remember how much fun it was to take panels off.

Grimpala

Reaction score
Finally got around to tracking this down. Started behind the dash and traced wire. Found the issue under the carpet at the B pillar. Evidently I have a leaky door that has kept the carpet pad damp and caused the pins inside the 2 wire connector to corrode to the point that the wires were no longer attached. A few but splices and some heat shrink and I'm back in business.

Now I have to track down the moisture issue....

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Earlier you said " look for a short" , i have not looked at it for crew cab. Cab lights get power through " courtesy lighting" fuse. On crew cab one works one does not. Then not the fuse right, both would be dark if it was. Next bulb bad, not making contact, no ground? Door jam switches? Not shorted, other light would be out and fuse burnt. Good ground...then there's an open in the circuit, not short. A shortcut to ground overloads the circuit. Do you have the free service manuals?