Crank, Spark, No Fuel after changing clutch line assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes:

I have a 1995 4.3 vortec with man trans. I had to drop the pan and replace bearings and during that process I developed a pinhole leak in my hydrolic clutch line. So I figure I'd just replace the whole assembly. Got that done, bled the system and went to start the truck to test gears and no start. I have spark and can start on ether and keep her running by spraying down the throttle body but the injectors are not pulsing.

The truck has been sat for 3 days, been raining but never had an issue starting before. I kinda shoved the new clutch line in and ripped the old one out hastily (was making me mad) and I'm guessing I ruined an electrical connection in the process but I have no idea where to check. I've looked over everything obvious and don't see anything that looks torn or shorted but it could be inside a harness' jacket. Also I just drained the clutch line fluid into the engine bay when I disconnected the line but I've also powerwashed the engine bay and not had issues starting up.

Is there any go-to spot to check? The clutch line runs behind the distributer which I just replaced and all those connections look fine.

Full tank of gas, spark and strong crank. Starts with ether. 95 c1500 4.3 nv3500 i think.

I'm buying a new-to-me (73 custom) tomorrow and I'd hoped to have this truck movable by tomorrow and this is throwing a wrench in everything.

Thanks for any help!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any go-to spot to check? The clutch line runs behind the distributer which I just replaced and all those connections look fine.
Crushed distributor wiring due to lifting the engine to pull the pan, was going to be my first guess.

Second guess is a fuel pump that's not getting power due to a torn wire along the frame rail somewhere near where you were working.

Have you checked the fuse for the fuel pump? Fuel pump relay still in place? ECM fuse(s) still good?

Sudden, unexpected fuel pump failure?

Reaction score
Crushed distributor wiring due to lifting the engine to pull the pan, was going to be my first guess.

Second guess is a fuel pump that's not getting power due to a torn wire along the frame rail somewhere near where you were working.

Have you checked the fuse for the fuel pump? Fuel pump relay still in place? ECM fuse(s) still good?

Sudden, unexpected fuel pump failure?
I didn't need to lift the engine when I pulled the pan. The only thing in the way was the slave cylinder, so I uninstalled that which caused the old (probably original) line to get a leak. One of the mounts was in the way, but luckily, I pried the pan in and out without too much force. Fairly certain this isn't the original block, I think its a 96 rather than a 95 like the truck.

I guess if its nothing visible I will have to find the schematic and start there. After some research, I found the distributor is responsible for the pulse and that is the area I was roughest in forcing that new line into place. There is a lot of wiring under the master cylinder I was rough with pulling the old line from that area, and also let the fluid out right there. I don't seem to have any other electrical issues though so I'm going to hone in on the distributor.

I will check all of the above when the sun comes up. It would be nice if it was a fuse, didn't even think of that. Hoping it's not some unrelated failure I have to track down.

Thanks for your help!