crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright i have a 1998 chevy vortec 350 2 wd ext. cab truck i got a crank no start problem has good compression, good fuel pressure but no spark. new cap roto plugs and wires swapped known good coil and ignition control mod. still no start i got no spark from coil i got new crank sensor i have power and ground at icm i need some help please

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the diagnostics for a 98 350.

When you said you had no spark from the coil, was that no spark at the coil itself or at the end of the wire feeding the distributor cap?

If no spark at coil tower and power/ground are good at the coil and ICM, then the next step would be to see if the switching signals from the ICM to the coil and from the VCM to ICM are present.

You must be registered for see images attach

VCM connector pinouts:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank u for the info. im not getting spark from the coil tower ill do more checking

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
also i keep getting codes p0336 and p0339 even after i clear them when i go to crank engine and its not starting those same codes pop right up...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the VCM isn't getting a signal from the CKP sensor to begin with, that may be your problem. Did you do the relearn procedure when the sensor was replaced?

P0336:

P0339:

chris kesl

Reaction score
alright i have a 1998 chevy vortec 350 2 wd ext. cab truck i got a crank no start problem has good compression, good fuel pressure but no spark. new cap roto plugs and wires swapped known good coil and ignition control mod. still no start i got no spark from coil i got new crank sensor i have power and ground at icm i need some help please
i am having the same issue still havent gotten it fixed. new coil crank sensor ignition pick up. still no spark but what is really odd is that my fuel gauge is reading waay full past full and dosent change when the key is on or off. i replaced the fuel pump with gm part 3 weeks ago also put a new pigtail on the pump harness, and did a good job so im not looking for that to be an issue. the day it wouldnt start I replaced the fuel pump relay also. gonna work on it this evening and really look into testing things instead of throwing parts at it.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well got truck going ended up being combo of crank sensor and igition control module my question is now which bank is bank 1 n 2 u got a bad upstream o2 sensor on bank 1

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good deal, glad you got it sorted out.

Bank 1 is from driver side manifold.