Crank but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys got a 94 1500 TBI 350 pickup truck that’s sat for a little while. It’s my grandfather in laws that I’m interested in purchasing. They tried to start it the other day but wouldn’t start without dumping fuel in the throttle body. It backfired once and burnt both injector plug connectors. I just replaced them with new but still no start and I get no fuel in the TBI when cranking. Fuel pump runs well, but I hear bubbles when priming. Didn’t think much at the time as it was getting late. Is the rubber hose finally done and has a hole? Did one of the clamps possibly give way?? I’m going to unhook the line at the filter and see if I get fuel tomorrow or Friday. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 698B76B8-AC42-4EC7-BF09-86928A9D8E5F.jpeg
    698B76B8-AC42-4EC7-BF09-86928A9D8E5F.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 9

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Check for bad grounds first. It will save you a bunch of time.

Unplug the coolant temp sensor near the thermostat. It is a 2 wire connector.

The computer looks at that first to determine how cold the engine is so it knows how much extra fuel to add to get it to start.
Disconnected the computer thinks it is -40 degrees because of the open circuit. Short across the plug and it thinks the coolant temp is 256 F. The higher the resistance the colder the coolant is.
This is not the sensor for the gauge.
That should add a bunch of fuel to get it started. If it runs then change the sensor.

The pump may be running but not pumping fuel so checking for fuel is a good idea.
You need volume as well as pressure to keep it running. The fuel filters are often neglected and often rust in place so spray the connections with the penetrating oil of your choice keeping it wet for a few days before you attempt removing it.
Repairing the lines is way more work for you.

Sitting can lead to corrosion in the fuel tank and it will murder pumps and filters. If that happens just get a new tank and pump right off the bat.

Old fuel loses volatility. Draining it is best but if you can't Berryman's B12 ChemTool can make the old stuff easier to burn. You can get it at AutoZone or Walmart.
Don't overdo it too much can cause harm.
Don't get on your skin or your paint. You won't like what happens.