cracked carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TICK

Reaction score
well i pulled the rear dif. cover, raised back wheels of ground. started engine, trying to figure were bumping coming from. the carrier bumping into end of pinion gear. wtf. crrier cracked in about five places, ready to fly apart. this is a 89 z71, got a fctory locker. not sure what im gonna do about it. my other truck is a 98 k2500, i got the 5 spd in my shop rebuilding it. now im down to my 59.
You must be registered for see images attach

TICK

Reaction score
not sure what to do about it. dont want to just rebuild it and be done, cause i hate the drum brake design on that truck. they never stay adjusted. theres supposed to be a 14 bolt 6 lug, semi floating rear end out there on some trucks. i would love to luck up and find one. or im gonna go ahead rebuild dif, and convert to disc brakes.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are 14 bolt 6 lug rear ends on a lot of GMT400's. Some are wide (4WD) and some are narrower (2WD) so you want to get the correct one. K1500's with the F44 RPO code will have the one you need, and 4WD K2500 "light duty" will have the same.

Richard

TICK

Reaction score
ive been watching craigs list. for a parts truck, also need a tail gate, and driver door, upgrade 98 cheyenne to power windows. i didnt even think they still made crank windows

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt even think they still made crank windows
At one of my past jobs we had a chevy 03 2500 with manual windoes. My parents have a 05 dodge 2500 with manual windows. I have seen some 2012 ish dodge 2500's with them to. There out there but i think there getting fewer and fewer.

TICK

Reaction score
I HAVE A LOVE HATE THING ABOUT CRANK WINDOWS, ITS A REAL PAIN WHEN YOU GOTTA TRY TO GET TO IT. BUT IM ONE OF THOSE WHO WILL GO FOR A MONTH AND NOT CLOSE MY WINDOWS. THEN IT'LL START POURING, SO ITS NICE NOT TO HUNT KEYS,

TICK

Reaction score
i think im gonna replace the cracked carrier with a eaton tru-trac. and all the stuff that goes along with it, at same time gonna convert to disc brakes, dont know what im gonna use yet. i dont feel the need for the ebrake, ive had the truck for 15 yrs, dont ever recall useing it. but thats gonna have to wait till i get tranny back in 98 k2500, also i bought a 4 post lift. couple wks ago. still sitting on trailer in barn. like to make that the first job on it. TIC