Couplee of speaker questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. How do you pop out the dash speaker grilles without damaging them? Mine are in good shape, so like to not bust them up if possible. Of course, they look original so may be impossible? Anyhow, not finding a right up on here and not seeing a video on YouTube.

2. Can a speaker large than stock fit in the regular cab corners behind the factory trim panels? I don't want to have spacers, aftermarket grilles, etc. Not looking for a killer system, just something a little better than stock. Would a 5.25" fit? Something bigger maybe?

Didn't see these questions posted before, but apologize if it's already been asked. I tried a search but came up empty. Might not have used the best words in my search.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine popped out OK but YMMV depending on how old the truck is and how much sun damage the plastic has had. You MIGHT be able to get a larger speaker into the pillars. It might be easier to install some in the doors. Regardless, do change out the factory speakers even if you use the same size. The factory speakers always crap out and the radio will sound a lot better with new ones.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did you pop the speaker dash grilles out? Is there a technique, like pry from a particular side?

Edit: finally found a YouTube video on the process for removing the dash grilles, looks like pop the edge farthest from the windshield. These are incredibly shallow speakers, I measure 1-78/" deep!

Last edited:

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, having problems getting the dash grilles back in. Can't get the front hooks into the slots, the depth of the aftermarket speakers meant I had to use the 1/8" spacers to raise them up, otherwise they bottom out in the speaker holes. Any ideas on how to solve? Guess my dash mat disguises it, a little.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Okay, having problems getting the dash grilles back in. Can't get the front hooks into the slots, the depth of the aftermarket speakers meant I had to use the 1/8" spacers to raise them up, otherwise they bottom out in the speaker holes. Any ideas on how to solve? Guess my dash mat disguises it, a little.

They should kind of hook in toward the windshield first then you press them down on the side toward you.

Speakers shouldn't be tall enough they prevent the grille from setting back down.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So pull up on the grills that are closer to you when sitting on the seat.

My clips broke off I put them back with J&B Weld and you could also use some gray boxes that eBay has the put 6X9 speakers in them on my Ext/cab I put on 6X9 speakers they rock.