Corvette Servo DISASTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did not keep great track of which bolt goes where, I have 6 total that I'm slightly unsure of the location lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did not keep great track of which bolt goes where, I have 6 total that I'm slightly unsure of the location lol

Is the truck completely disassembled? It's actually really easy to figure out which is which once they're all in a pile. Just sort them out so all like bolts are together and it'll make sense.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the truck completely disassembled? It's actually really easy to figure out which is which once they're all in a pile. Just sort them out so all like bolts are together and it'll make sense.
It's close. Transmission is not out quite yet it will be tomorrow. Just need to support it, remove the crossmember, cooler lines and bell housing bolts. Transfer case and everything else is dropped.

I figured out what the bolts are I believe.

1 is for an aftermarket exhaust hanger, 2 for an exhaust clamp, 1 for a tranny pan bolt i left out, and 1 for the transfer case shifter, I unbolted it because I couldnt get it out of the rubber bushing.

All the bolts that have multiple I know what they are. The transfer case bolts, exhaust donut flange bolts, torque converter bolts etc. For some of the stuff like the starter, inspection cover etc I put the bolts in the holes and laid them down.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the old fluid was holding the clutches together and losing all of it and putting new stuff in killed it.

old fluid with clutch material in it is a myth.
Yup. If the old fluid had chunks and particles in it, and that's what was keeping the clutches from slipping...how did the polished shafts and bronze/plastic bushings survive being lubricated with grit?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. If the old fluid had chunks and particles in it, and that's what was keeping the clutches from slipping...how did the polished shafts and bronze/plastic bushings survive being lubricated with grit?
thats very true.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how bad an idea do yall think it is just to replace the clutch packs and band on my current tranny? lmao. Would save some money.

The band was causing loss of 2nd gear, 3-4 clutch pack burned up now. Fluid was def burnt.

Its either that or used trans.

I know its better to just rebuild but theoretically if I did this and just replaced the 3-4 clutches, not the forward clutches or anything would this give me 3rd and 4th back?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My limited experience has been that once you open-up a failed 700-family trans, you'll find more wrong inside than you expected, it'll cost more than you planned-for, and require extra labor to fix everything that's worn out or damaged.

Both times the 700 in my '88 K1500 failed, the planetaries were shot. Broken teeth, burnt clutches, burnt band, worn holes in the separator plate, etc.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting new transmission in an hour
What happened there?

I'm just going to say it, If you had difficulties keeping the exterior bolts straight, the inside of a 4l60 is probably not where you need to be mucking around. Last one I did was over $500 in replacing all the other wore out hard parts as has been mentioned by others.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’d never attempt rebuilding one of these. Would love to with someone who does know. I did install install a Corvette servo, really was just a matter of prying it in just enough to snap ring in. If I had read this thread before, not sure, but I may not have. 2 years all good though. :headbang: