Copper vs Copper Clad Aluminum wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will be buying a wiring kit to run my 1200w amp and am wondering what the pros and cons are of CCA wiring. I want a 4 gauge wiring kit and don't really want to spend the money on an actual copper kit, but if its really recommended then I might consider it. Let me know what your opinions are on both CCA and actual copper! Thanks in advance!

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True copper wiring IMO... There's a reason they don't use aluminum wires in houses anymore.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Get thee to your local welding supply store and you can buy high quality stranded copper line in any gauge you want in any length you want for less than what an "amp kit" is going to milk you for.

Get some proper lug ends while you're there.

If anyone trys to tell you welding cable is inferior to "amplifier" cable, laugh at them and walk away....

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get thee to your local welding supply store and you can buy high quality stranded copper line in any gauge you want in any length you want for less than what an "amp kit" is going to milk you for.

Get some proper lug ends while you're there.

If anyone trys to tell you welding cable is inferior to "amplifier" cable, laugh at them and walk away....

Thanks! Never thought of that! Might see how big our old leads are from our stick welder and use them..

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
CCAW is lighter and cheaper, but has less conductivity and ampacity. 1/0awg CCAW is roughly equivalent to 2awg copper, but less money. A lot of the audio places sell copper that is undersized compared to 'real' sized conductors. Depending on the run and how much voltage drop is acceptable, I would suggest 2awg copper.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
My vote: Copper.
I never used an "amp kit". I piece it together from bulk wiring.
My amp uses a 4 gauge power and ground but it only makes 400 watt RMS.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thanks! Never thought of that! Might see how big our old leads are from our stick welder and use them..

For most guys, 4 gauge is more than they will ever need.

You need to be running some REALLY serious power (ie:$$$$$$) before you need bigger.

For example: most 4 gauge cable is rated for 100A over a 100 ft run at 60C.

When you shorted the run or drop the temp the amperage goes up a bit.

If you think you're going to pull more than 100A in a normal car amplifier install, the last thing you are thinking about is how much the wiring is going to cost because you are building one high dollar system......:rofl:

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! I found a 25 foot long lead that I hope nobody notices went missing.... :lol: its 4 gauge full copper! Now I gotta get a box and get these thumpers installed!