Cooling system upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
So i got my engine all figured out, ill post picture up in my build thread once it starts coming together. Basicly, im going to building an engine that making 400-450 HP with a t56 Tranny, im looking to find out a few different things.

First, is a 305 c1500 pickup truck radiator the same as the 3500 7.4 454 big block? Seems like a stupid question, i could swear the 454 is bigger, but the guy at the local rad rebuilding place told me their the same:hmm:

So what are you guys doing? going completely after market? or just out of a bigger truck... what about my tranny, should i be putting a better cooling system in it as well?

Now for fans, i see a few write up on different fans, id like to run two electric ones... any suggestions?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure about the newer 454's but the 454SS had a 34 x 2 1/4 radiator, the vortec 350 has a 34 x 1 1/4 radiator....I'm currently running a 454SS radiator in mine. its a direct swap, the bracketry fits the larger radiator perfectly....the only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the oil and trans cooler fittings, I don't run either one, so I'm not sure if those were changed in that time frame or not.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Manual trannies aren't under pressure. They don't use a pump. The fluid is just splashed around inside the housing by the movement of the gears & shafts.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Here the set up I went with
You must be registered for see images attach

This is for the Trans. It run in a 180 thermostat
You must be registered for see images attach