Coolant temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
so what is your issue? scan tool shows a -30 or a 280 ish degree value? whats the intake air temp sensor report when the truck is cold, and what does the ECT report when cold engine?
I'll have to check this wknd when I'm back home. Think it held around -30 off and runnin

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to check this wknd when I'm back home. Think it held around -30 off and runnin
That would indicate a failed or unhooked sensor. As in, the signal from the computer is broke or its high resistance
If you added an additional thread sealer to the sensor it wont be able to read right because it relies on the ground it makes to the engine.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
That would indicate a failed or unhooked sensor. As in, the signal from the computer is broke or its high resistance
If you added an additional thread sealer to the sensor it wont be able to read right because it relies on the ground it makes to the engine.
Kinda what i figured. It's a brand new sensor n I've had brand new things fail. I may clean terminals inside the plug first as they are rusty for some reason. But same time it's a Napa sensor n my pro mechanic friend quit buyin from napa as he had nothin but issues with all their electrical pieces.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda what i figured. It's a brand new sensor n I've had brand new things fail. I may clean terminals inside the plug first as they are rusty for some reason. But same time it's a Napa sensor n my pro mechanic friend quit buyin from napa as he had nothin but issues with all their electrical pieces.
i would definitely depin the connector, use connector spray and steel wool or a brass wire brush or something to clean the contacts, then figure out why they corroded, and repin the connector

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
i would definitely depin the connector, use connector spray and steel wool or a brass wire brush or something to clean the contacts, then figure out why they corroded, and repin the connector
Welp redid Continuity just to double check. Passed. Pulled pigtail n cleaned terminals. Plug it back in, pulled ground off battery to reset. Fire up n idle, run code reader....
High input coolant temp sensor. -40°. There's a gremlin somewhere and it ain't a cute brown n white furry one.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp redid Continuity just to double check. Passed. Pulled pigtail n cleaned terminals. Plug it back in, pulled ground off battery to reset. Fire up n idle, run code reader....
High input coolant temp sensor. -40°. There's a gremlin somewhere and it ain't a cute brown n white furry one.
what did you do continuity check on? and what is the resistance of the sensor ? And you never answered what I said before about coating the threads with anything

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
what did you do continuity check on? and what is the resistance of the sensor ? And you never answered what I said before about coating the threads with anything
Oh sorry. Too much brain damage to remember anything. Threads just have their factory coating out of box. I tested pigtail to pcm. Also did the TPS as it was on same circuit just to cover my bases. I can't recall now what the sensor read.