Coolant Temp Sending Unit Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently pulled the trigger on running an A-Pillar gauge pod with water temp and oil pressure gauges. I'm not a fan of GM's reputation with their sensors and clusters (I've experienced failures that were almost costly) so I'm running my own. The problem I'm finding is that I can't seem to find a temp sensor that will fit the 350 in my '91 that tells me the ohm resistance. The gauge itself (as described by the factory) has the following resistance:

104F = 925 oHms
302F = 32 oHms

Anyone familiar with a sender that'll fit in the 350 and work relatively close to this? The sender that came with the gauge had to be fit in an adapter, but the adapter caused the sensor itself to sit too far out from the engine and not catch any coolant to measure the temp of, so I'm looking for a direct fit into the block.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
So you want to read ohms? Why not get one that reads the actual temp? I installed a gauge set years ago and one gauge was the temp.Granted they're analog but I'm sure there's gotta be a digital one out there.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope I'm understanding you correctly :shrug:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I just want to get accurate coolant temps, and it’s looking like the gauge itself might be bad whereas the sending unit is functioning perfectly fine. I may run analog though, good call.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Funny thing.....after monitoring the temps from the gauge I installed and the factory gauge I found that they were very close in accuracy.Discovering that I removed the aftermarket gauge from the engine,re-installed the factory gauge and installed the aftermarket gauge in the trans pan so I could have a trans temp gauge.There again the aftermarket gauge is very close to the actual trans temp according to a program I have that can read the 4L80E temp.

Pbeanbag

Reaction score
I have one like the one in the first picture and cant find one anywhere. I was told it is called a heat sync sending unit. Mine is just a solid wire in a wire wound casing (looks like a choke cable). the wire busted at the sending unit so unless i find one I'm screwed. Exactly what is the part # so i can have my local parts place order one. I want the whole thing cable and all ... thanx

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have one like the one in the first picture and cant find one anywhere. I was told it is called a heat sync sending unit. Mine is just a solid wire in a wire wound casing (looks like a choke cable). the wire busted at the sending unit so unless i find one I'm screwed. Exactly what is the part # so i can have my local parts place order one. I want the whole thing cable and all ... thanx
That style would be for an aftermarket gauge, and they come with the gauges. What brand are your gauges? Autometer, Sunpro, ... you could look it up by brand.

Richard