Confused by tranny diostick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted about a big leak from my 4L80E, where I added a quart of fluid at 35 miles to get home on. Adding the fluid put the level half way between ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ zones on the stick. When I got home I immediately checked it and saw no fluid on the stick. Couple days later, without driving it I checked it again cold, and it’s now above the hot zone- quarter inch above. Went from not visible to above the hot zone just sitting cooling. Is that because the fluid takes time to drain back down? If it takes time to drain back then wouldn’t the ‘cold’ section on the stick be ABOVE the ‘hot’ section? To get a true reading is it necessary to get it warmed up but not 210 gegrees hot? Very perplexing. Been driving sticks most my life so sorta new to this. Thanks

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Engine running and up to operating temperature is when it needs to be checked. Your transmission fluid is obviously not going to be 210F.

If you do a fluid change/service, then you would shift through all the gears manually twice before checking fluid, but otherwise I don't do that for just checking level.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is a Diostick what you check to see if you need to listen to "Holy Diver" again?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If this is the case, then yes, yes I do need to listen to Holy Diver again. Thank you for reminding me.

Another version:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the engine got all warmed up there was just a quarter inch of fluid on the dipstick so I put a quart in and it went to half an inch past ( higher than) the hot zone, so I guess it’s only a cup or pint past the hot. Should get me 60 miles to the trans. shop