Computer timing advance issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1997 c1500 5.7L vortec
For a year the motor has been sluggish below 3500 rpm and after that it takes off like a rocket. Wont do a burnout anymore. Sometimes when starting it spark knocks as if the timing is too far advanced. Was this way for about a year and now it will not start and on the seldom occasion you can get the motor to fire at all, it spins backwards. It recently started to stumble when given throttle when leaving the drive way for the first time of the day. TDC the motor and the rotor is lined up perfectly with cylinder 1. No trouble codes of any kind, no check engine light. Timing chain has not jumped timing. Entire distributor with new cam sensor has been installed, new crank position sensor, coil as well as the ignition control module next to it is new. It has a less that year old Delphi fuel pump that puts out 55 psi at the fuel pressure check port behind the spider on top of the intake (without engine running). All signs point to the computer advancing the timing by a substantial amount while at 'idle' for no reason. My question is what other faulty sensors/ incorrect inputs to the computer would cause the computer to advance the timing like this. There is not any check engine codes nor have there been in the past year so I am flying blind trying to solve this issue. All the new components listed above have been put on in an attempt to remedy the low power at low rpm problem it has had for ~1 year. Also the motor seemed to have full power when cold (leaving the house for the first time that day). So it appears to have a dependency on engine temp but it loses power well before the water temp is at operating temperature.

Reaction score
1997 c1500 5.7L vortec
For a year the motor has been sluggish below 3500 rpm and after that it takes off like a rocket. Wont do a burnout anymore. Sometimes when starting it spark knocks as if the timing is too far advanced. Was this way for about a year and now it will not start and on the seldom occasion you can get the motor to fire at all, it spins backwards. It recently started to stumble when given throttle when leaving the drive way for the first time of the day. TDC the motor and the rotor is lined up perfectly with cylinder 1. No trouble codes of any kind, no check engine light. Timing chain has not jumped timing. Entire distributor with new cam sensor has been installed, new crank position sensor, coil as well as the ignition control module next to it is new. It has a less that year old Delphi fuel pump that puts out 55 psi at the fuel pressure check port behind the spider on top of the intake (without engine running). All signs point to the computer advancing the timing by a substantial amount while at 'idle' for no reason. My question is what other faulty sensors/ incorrect inputs to the computer would cause the computer to advance the timing like this. There is not any check engine codes nor have there been in the past year so I am flying blind trying to solve this issue. All the new components listed above have been put on in an attempt to remedy the low power at low rpm problem it has had for ~1 year. Also the motor seemed to have full power when cold (leaving the house for the first time that day). So it appears to have a dependency on engine temp but it loses power well before the water temp is at operating temperature.
Also, the temp sensor on the drivers side head above the exhaust manifold is new as well. All parts are acdelco or bwd if they were available. Compression is between 180 psi and 190 on all 8 cylinders (pretty good for 210k miles) fuel economy is lower than expected as well.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few questions...

Do you have good spark at all eight cylinders?

Will it run with starting fluid sprayed in the TB?

Was the distributor stabbed at TDC of compression stroke?

Was the CMP/CKP offset set?

Using a scanner, what temperature is the coolant temperature sensor reporting...any oddball numbers? That’s the sensor by the thermostat and the one used by the VCM. Hold the gas to the floor and try to start it. That puts it in ‘clear flood’ mode.

Is the throttle position sensor reporting correctly? The voltage should be low at closed throttle, something like 0.5V and should increase smoothly as the throttle is opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
A few questions...

Using a scanner, what temperature is the coolant temperature sensor reporting...any oddball numbers?

Is the throttle position sensor reporting correctly? The voltage should be low at closed throttle, something like 0.5V and should increase smoothly as the throttle is opened.

A few questions...

Using a scanner, what temperature is the coolant temperature sensor reporting...any oddball numbers? That’s the sensor by the thermostat and the one used by the VCM. Hold the gas to the floor and try to start it. That puts it in ‘clear flood’ mode.

Spark is strong at all 8 cylinders.

I'd have to try the starting fluid tomorrow but there is fuel up to the injectors and it has the aftermarket multi port spider injector from BWD so all 8 injectors would have to fail for absolutely no fire.

The distributor was installed properly and has been in the truck and untouched for 6 months.

Unfortunately I do not have the scan tool needed to look into the sensor data of the ecu.

I will check the tps sensor tomorrow as well as I have suspected that might be a problem through process of eliminating but I was not sure if it could cause the ecu to change timing.

Reaction score
N
Spark is strong at all 8 cylinders.

I'd have to try the starting fluid tomorrow but there is fuel up to the injectors and it has the aftermarket multi port spider injector from BWD so all 8 injectors would have to fail for absolutely no fire.

The distributor was installed properly and has been in the truck and untouched for 6 months.

Unfortunately I do not have the scan tool needed to look into the sensor data of the ecu.

I will check the tps sensor tomorrow as well as I have suspected that might be a problem through process of eliminating but I was not sure if it could cause the ecu to change timing.
no new parts have been put on the truck today when it wouldn't start so all parts listed above have been installed and running for some time