ColorBond from LMC Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when people say its durable it could mean fading, cracking chipping or simply wears off in high traffic areas like door handles. Different people same words different meanings ... could you clarify the difference between sem and colorbond?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sem and colorbond are the same crap same as duplicolor, they are all vinyle and fabric dyes and junk.

colorbond is more expensive and costs more to ship from lmc when you could find sem locally. or online and be cheaper, then duplicolor is cheaper then both for sure.

I've had sem flake off on plastic seat belt buckles, prepped properly and all.

Never flaked on my old mans dash cap though and it's all plastic. Never faded for that matter and it's been over 5 years now.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I've had SEM on all of my interior parts for about 14 months and it's still holding up great.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought it was all the same just different price but in most cases get what you pay for. In my experience ive never had much luck with duplicolor and would never try and paint any metal with colorbond, sem, or duplicolor until i either sanded it down with 180 then primed it or sanded and used a adheasion promotor. Paint doesnt like to adhere to slick metals but as for the dash it seems to be good stuff.. ONLY thing i do recommend tho is going the extra mile and buying the clear coat aswell. It seems without clear coat the color isnt what is depicted in the book not to mention it evens out any variation in color to the "accidental heavy spots." Il put up pics soon of the dash clear coated and then again in the truck minus the mia snap in piece that is loacated by the glove department, the one that is like $140 new :/

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
SEM is a dye, not a paint.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I honestly dont see were duplicolor is cheaper. 8 bucks a can the not bad I guess if you doing a couple peices plastic and not fabric. sem not sure on the price of a can but 32 bucks a qt wich will do a **** ton and goes a long ways in fabric. My door panel took almost 2 cans of duplicolor and it was stiffer than hell. did a set of door panels for a buddy with sem didnt use very much and no stiff ass fabric from the sem. Plus since I have a paint gun Id rather shoot from it than a spray can anyways.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
never used sem in a spray gun.

I've used both on fabrics and both were tough and stiff.

I've also used sem on that dash pad and it took almost a fdull can to do like 2 or 3 coats on it.

I did the entire monte carlo dash with 1 can or duplicolor and it covered first time and I got about 4 coats out of one can.

spray cans of sem are almost $20 compared to duplicolor which is $8. When I bought it I paid at most $5 for it, and got a bunch of them from magic mart for $2 a can.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my colorbond doesnt seem to make anything stiff and it took about a little over a can for 3 good coats for my dash. it cost me about 13 bucks a can. only thing is you deffinately get a good finger work out from the can lol

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you done any fabric?

if not then that's why, it only makes the soft carpet stiff.