color sanding/wet sanding clear coat to smooth out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ActionJackson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i had a little orange peel in my paint so i tryed wet sanding my tailgate with 2000 grit
didnt sand to long or to hard at all barely even sanded put the buffer on it with some turtle wax rubbing compound and my shine is coming back how long am i supposed to buff to get my shine back? or did i mess it up? or did i get screwed over when they sprayed my truck and have hardly any clear coat causeing me to mess it up?

ActionJackson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
fixed it i was using one of those crappy drill buffers because i didnt have a pad for my real buffer put the real buffer on it and it shines... i have one half of the tail gate done it really is a long proces

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fixed it i was using one of those crappy drill buffers because i didnt have a pad for my real buffer put the real buffer on it and it shines... i have one half of the tail gate done it really is a long proces

What kind of buffer are you using? Also what kind of pad do you have on your buffer? What abrasive level is the compound your using? I would suggest picking up a bottle of 3M foam pad pollishing glaze, and a 3M or Meguires compound. After you colorsand and buff with compound, buff with a foam pad using a foam pad finishing glaze. It will shine 100X more then just the compound!

bent

Reaction score
to get remove orange peel from my paint jobs i usually wet sand with 1200 grit to level the paint and sometimes follow with 1500 grit prior to buffing. You can use 3m extra cut compound with a wool pad to bring it back. Follow this with 3m finesse it polishing glaze with a foam pad. If you have swirl marks you can follow the finesse it with a swirl mark remover with a foam pad.