cold start knock? Is it normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 5.7 vortec with 238km on it, on a cold start more towards this time of the year and throughout the winter I hear a knock for a couple minutes before the truck warms up. My thought is that its just piston slap? Is this normal? Im new to owning a vortec, and Im not too concerned about it but just thought id ask.

Cheers from the north

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same and so do a few other people. I made the mistake of replacing crank and bearings hoping to solve the problem but my efforts were worthless:nono:

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does it just for a few seconds until the oil pump gets the oil up top. Im thinking mine is coming from the rocker area though.

Have you tried running an oil with a good zinc content or high film strength?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotz it to. I'm just running mine till it dies. like yours its only in the winter an the colder it gets the louder it is.

I just pretend the truck is telling me good morning an how much it missed me. :rofl:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's somewhat normal because the oil is so much colder. It takes a lot longer to get to the top end. A better winter oil might help.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does it just for a few seconds until the oil pump gets the oil up top. Im thinking mine is coming from the rocker area though.

Have you tried running an oil with a good zinc content or high film strength?

yes....

I gotz it to. I'm just running mine till it dies. like yours its only in the winter an the colder it gets the louder it is.

I just pretend the truck is telling me good morning an how much it missed me. :rofl:

That just might work

That's somewhat normal because the oil is so much colder. It takes a lot longer to get to the top end. A better winter oil might help.

mine does it during the summer now too just not as bad

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It didn't matter what I ran in mine last winter, nothing quieted it down until the outside temp average was above 60*.....

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Mine does it when it is cold and it's not at operating temperature. Once it gets to Op. Temperature it quits.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
My old block did this for years and didnt have any problems.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 94 wich is not vortec,, gm had a tsb out years ago telling the dealers to put a fram filter on instead of a ac delco, as much as i thought it was crazy put a fram on two weeks ago and have not had a cold start knock since, guess the anti drain back valve on a fram tough guard is better than the delco