Codes in glovebox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You need to know the FCC ID of the receiver module and get remotes matching that ID. The receiver is mounted to the bracket on the right side of about the middle of the steering column under the dash - it's a real pain to get to, but the FCC ID will be printed on the side of the module.

Personally I thought they went rounded in 96 but I could be wrong on that one... I just know my 97 has the round ones.

My FCC ID was ABO1502R for reference, yours will probably be different. The remotes will be ABO1502T or equiv.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best guess is that you’d need the square one. I’m not sure if the rounded one would work as I think those are for 97+.

I’ve seen some of these at parts stores, Autozone I think. Might be worth a try as it could be returned if it didn’t work.
I will check into it I’d love to have a keyfob because my door locks act stupid sometimes

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to know the FCC ID of the receiver module and get remotes matching that ID. The receiver is mounted to the bracket on the right side of about the middle of the steering column under the dash - it's a real pain to get to, but the FCC ID will be printed on the side of the module.

Personally I thought they went rounded in 96 but I could be wrong on that one... I just know my 97 has the round ones.

My FCC ID was ABO1502R for reference, yours will probably be different. The remotes will be ABO1502T or equiv.
I’ll go check it out later to see if i can find it and so i just find out the code and try to find some remotes with the same code?

bamabound

Reaction score
If you're friendly with someone in the parts or service dept at any GM dealership you can get that same printout of the RPO codes. Any dealership can do it, some of the employees may not know how to do it, but everytime I've asked they've always found someone who can.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're friendly with someone in the parts or service dept at any GM dealership you can get that same printout of the RPO codes. Any dealership can do it, some of the employees may not know how to do it, but everytime I've asked they've always found someone who can.
I think I'm going to just so i can have an actual paper that i can put it up so i wont lose it