Code 43, Knock Sensor Question (Vortec 350)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
My Dad and I installed a crate Vortec 350 (from a 92 Camaro) into my 93 C1500. The engine started up after the install, but it ran really rough. The check engine light is saying Code 43 = Electronic Spark Control. I'm going to install a new knock sensor. The current knock sensor can handle a far higher ohm rating then the sensor for the truck. I'm crossing my fingers this takes care of the problem.
If the engine continues to run rough with the new knock sensor, do you have any suggestions on what to look out for? The EGR valve is on the radar if the engine is not running smoothly. Thanks for any help.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that a typo? If its from a 92 camaro its not a vortec its an L98.
That could get funky on you because i believe L98 is cammed for a different base timing.
Also, be carefull when you look up any specs for an L98
Holden Australia also makes an engine that they call an L98 but it has nothing to do with yours.
But, because they were owned by GM, a lot of bunk information shows up on the internet.
The same applies to several Holden/GM designations.
In general,
Make sure you are seeing Chevrolet specs and not something for a Daewoo
( it happens)
Forgot to mention. Its probably the knock sensor.
You might need the pigtail connection for it too. They are pretty fragile.
If youve never replaced one, be ready cuz it will pee coolant on your head. If it doesnt, then the hole is plugged full of crud.
Gm re-used a block drain plug as a spot to put the KS

Last edited:

SweetNLo

Reaction score
Is that a typo? If its from a 92 camaro its not a vortec its an L98.
That could get funky on you because i believe L98 is cammed for a different base timing.
Also, be carefull when you look up any specs for an L98
Holden Australia also makes an engine that they call an L98 but it has nothing to do with yours.
But, because they were owned by GM, a lot of bunk information shows up on the internet.
The same applies to several Holden/GM designations.
In general,
Make sure you are seeing Chevrolet specs and not something for a Daewoo
( it happens)
Forgot to mention. Its probably the knock sensor.
You might need the pigtail connection for it too. They are pretty fragile.
If youve never replaced one, be ready cuz it will pee coolant on your head. If it doesnt, then the hole is plugged full of crud.
Gm re-used a block drain plug as a spot to put the KS

You are correct the L98 was an option for the 88-92 Camaros. The 305 was replaced in this Camaro with a crate 350 with Vortec heads. Thanks for the information on the knock sensor. Luckily the pigtail connection is good to go. I'm replacing the knock sensor on Wednesday, so I hope she runs well afterwards.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are correct the L98 was an option for the 88-92 Camaros. The 305 was replaced in this Camaro with a crate 350 with Vortec heads. Thanks for the information on the knock sensor. Luckily the pigtail connection is good to go. I'm replacing the knock sensor on Wednesday, so I hope she runs well afterwards.
Ahh.. that makes more sense. That wimpy little knock sensor wire often gets broken cuz it snags on the heat shield when people swap starters

SweetNLo

Reaction score
Good news! The check engine light went off with replacing the knock sensor. We were able to get the truck to idle without dying out. We'll have to dial it in a little more once we install the transmission.